Re: John Smock 1797-1876, New Jersey-Ind-Ky

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2008
      1850 United States Federal Census
      Name: John Smock
      Age: 53
      Estimated Birth Year: abt 1797
      Birth Place: New Jersey
      Gender: Male
      Occupation: Farmer
      Home in 1850(City,County,State): Kentucky, Meade, Kentucky

      Household Members: Name age Birthplace
      John Smock
      Margaret Smock 54 Pennsylvania
      Joseph T. Smock 25 Virginia, Occupation: Farmer
      Elizabeth Smock 15 Indiana

      Source Citation: Year: 1850; Census Place: Kentucky, Meade, Kentucky;
      Roll: M432_213; Page: 229; Image: 120.
      1860 United States Federal Census
      Name: John Smock
      Age in 1860: 63
      Birth Year: abt 1797
      Birthplace: New Jersey
      Home in 1860: Meade, Kentucky
      Gender: Male
      Post Office: Brandenburg
      Occupation: Farmer
      Value of real estate: $400
      Value of Personal property: $655

      Household Members: Name Age Birthplace
      John Smock 63 New Jersey
      Margaret A Smock 64 Pennsylvania
      Joseph T Smock 34 Virginia, Occupation: Steam Boatman

      Source Citation: Year: 1860; Census Place: , Meade, Kentucky; Roll:
      M653_386; Page: 0; Image: 518.
      I couldn't find anything about a Leah Smock, b. 1818, d. 1840.

      Hope this helps,

      Johhn Wolfe
      Corinth, Texas (Currently in Evansville, Indiana)

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Shirley Brown"
      <zsbrown@...> wrote:

      > Am looking for any information about John Smock who was born in
      New
      > Jersey 16 May 1797. He married a woman named Margaret Ann. They had
      two
      > or three children.Joseph born about 1825 in Virginia and Elizabeth
      Ann
      > born 26 Jul 1835 in Indiana. Leah Smock who might have been their
      > daughter or niece was born Jan 1818 and died Aug 1840. Does anyone
      have
      > any information about this family, What Margaret's maiden name was.
      Is
      > Leah their daughter? Any information would be appreciated. Shirley

    • Shirley Brown
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2008
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "John" <computerwolf@...>
        wrote:

        > 1850 United States Federal Census
        > Name: John Smock

        Thanks for the info John. Seems Leah is destined to remain a mystery.
        She is said to have died under mysterious circumstances. People thought
        she was a witch and local stories say she was locked in a smoke house
        and the building was set on fire. John and Margaret Smock are my GGG-
        grandparents. Thanks again for the information. Shirley