Looking for Your People-Question

  • barbara erickson
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 6, 2007
      Hi all,
      How much time do you spend looking for one person? When do you move on the the next person? There are times that I just give up on one and go to another because I can't find anything. I have spent years looking and it just seems that they aren't there. I grew up in California and Know where some of the people lived and can't find their deaths, why? Just wanted to know if any of you have the same problems. Thanks for listening, Barb

    • Lyndsey Holm
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
        I have this problem to. Its hards you know they are
        their but it seems like they diseppared into thin air.
        Good Luck.
        --- barbara erickson <berickson49@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > How much time do you spend looking for one person?
        > When do you move on the the next person? There are
        > times that I just give up on one and go to another
        > because I can't find anything. I have spent years
        > looking and it just seems that they aren't there. I
        > grew up in California and Know where some of the
        > people lived and can't find their deaths, why? Just
        > wanted to know if any of you have the same problems.
        > Thanks for listening, Barb

        > removed]
        >

        > Searching for your ancestry? You'll find great help
        > at Ancestry.Com

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > (Yahoo! ID required)

        mailto:genealogyresearchclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • icenagel01
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
          Don't give up hope over 7 years ago I started looking for a branch of
          my family tree that ended in 1879 because they took off to Canada and
          at this year family reunion there the desendants were. There is
          always hope. I am currently at a brick wall with my GG-Great
          Grandfather. You're not the only oe. :)

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Lyndsey Holm

          ______________

        • Peakcat@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 8, 2007
            I have been looking for my husband's maternal grandmother for more than two
            years-because she was divorced from his maternal grandfather and became the
            "black sheep" of the family it is also like she disappeared into thin air. I go
            on with my other projects and every once in awhile go back to looking for
            her. Have you tried things like the social security death index if you have any
            information regarding that or have you tried talking to relatives who might
            have any information that could be of help.

            Happy hunting.

            Ina Getzoff
            _Peakcat@..._ (mailto:Peakcat@...)

          • Catherine Lamb
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 8, 2007
              I have a 4gr grandfather like this. Just disappeared!
              He was making genealogy not fun - so after exhausting
              all the resources I could search using the internet,
              and people in his area (who never responded, so I'm
              thinking they couldn't find him either), I decided to
              work on other lines. Now my goal is to thoroughly
              flesh out all my lines back to four generations. Then
              I'll worry about the missing grandfather again.
              (Probably have to GO to his area personal and spend
              some time going through physical records with a fine
              tooth comb - nothing else has worked). Anyway- the
              fun thing about my new goal is the TONS of people I am
              finding who I never knew about. Seems genealogy is
              feast or famine. I've done the famine, now I'm
              enjoying the feast!

              I'm looking forward to reading other people's answer
              to this question. It has bothered me too - how much
              effort is enough?

              Catherine

              Be a better friend, newshound, and
            • claire frustine
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 9, 2007
                Hello fellow genealogy searchers I sure do understand feast or famine What a mess I've gone through I can't find anything on my maternal grandfather who came from Poland in 1910, But when I backed off I found my Paternal grand parents, paternal and maternal that I thought would be the worst grandmother born in Indiana, a Jones of all names her mom [a Heath] from Ohio,grandmother [ a Johnson] from Virginia. now her father Issac Jones born in Pennsylvania 1852 to parents Catherine and Benjamin Jones from Wales 3 children born in Wales and great grandfather was the first of 4 American born children in Columbia,Bloom county,Pa.. Coal miners, Then I lose the rest of his family except a brother William that lived in Indiana also [he was the last Wales born child before the family came to the USA] Rumors say he got a snootful one night and froze to death walking home?? Great grand dad was married twice once to a lady by the name of Mary Nowling in Adams Indiana they had two
                children Benjamin 1874 and Catherine
                1878 then Mary passed in 1880-81 He then married my great grandmother Ida M. Heath in Vigo county, Indiana 1882, they had 11 children the last being twins who died soon after birth in 1908 Ida raised Issac's two right along with hers, Most of the boy's were coal miners like dad, Ida's oldest married the niece of Chicago Cubs hall of famer Mordecai Brown,[three finger] Mordecai's sister married a Smith and they had family reunions the last Sunday of August for many years the Smiths, Browns and Jones how about researching this bunch,
                My grandmother was Ida's first girl and she was also named Ida [1889] Ida was married twice but while she was alive she only refered to some bad man she dated not to being marriedbut the marriage application said she was divorced in 1908 [at 20?] she married grandfather Thomas Birkbeck in 1913 in Vigo Co.,In. they had one child my Father Henry in 1914, Grandfather was born in Houghton le Spring, Painshaw Durham England in [ now heres a mess for you census 1866, marriage application 1872, naturalzation record on line 1872, his head stone 1867, HELP!!!] He was suppost to be married also and first wife died in 1905, but was she in the US ?? I can't even find a passenger list with his name?? I've been on a lot of sites I belong to ancestry,rootsweb,deadfred,plus>plus>plus> and the quick look at naturalzation records showed his were filed in 1901 so if his wife died in 1905 was she here or the UK?? Anyway his mom and dad were Thomas Birkbeck and Jane Crawford 1844 and 1846
                and my 2xgrandfather was also Thomas Birkbeck and he was born 1808 in Pencher,Durham,England so why would dad be Henry unless Granddad and his first wife had a Thomas, Oh well any one that can lend a hand I'd be most grateful, Happy Holidays to all ,
                Claire Ida Birkbeck-Frustine Individual Email | Traditional

              • jeannarob
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 10, 2007
                  Catherine,

                  A glimmer of hope, I have been looking for a great
                  aunt Sarah Salmon, that married a C.K. Walker in 1861
                  for years, well I had decided we would probably never
                  find her. In fact some of our family thought that she
                  had died and that C. K. Walker had married her mother
                  which was also Sarah Salmon.

                  Well to make a long story short. I was looking on the
                  DeArman line and while researching I came across a
                  death record. Jefferson Davis Walker which was
                  married to a Elita Esther DeArman.

                  Well right there in front of me was Charlie Walker and
                  Sarah Salmon as Jefferson Davis Walker parents.

                  So never give up just put it aside and maybe one of
                  these days it will appear in the strangest way.

                  Good Luck,
                  Jeanna
                • Kimberly Mayfield
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 10, 2007
                    Thanks Jeanna for the inspiration, i have had brick walls since i
                    started back in 98 lol i know one day i will turn over the rock that
                    they were born under but until then its nice to hear of others that have
                    made it thru their brickwalls :)

                    jeannarob wrote:

                    > Catherine,
                    >
                    > A glimmer of hope, I have been looking for a great
                    > aunt Sarah Salmon, that married a C.K. Walker in 1861
                    > for years, well I had decided we would probably never
                    > find her. In fact some of our family thought that she
                    > had died and that C. K. Walker had married her mother
                    > which was also Sarah Salmon.
                    >
                    > Well to make a long story short. I was looking on the
                    > DeArman line and while researching I came across a
                    > death record. Jefferson Davis Walker which was
                    > married to a Elita Esther DeArman.
                    >
                    > Well right there in front of me was Charlie Walker and
                    > Sarah Salmon as Jefferson Davis Walker parents.
                    >
                    > So never give up just put it aside and maybe one of
                    > these days it will appear in the strangest way.
                    >
                    > Good Luck,
                    > Jeanna

                  • kim_donley
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 11, 2007
                      Thought i would drop a line and see if we may connect. My
                      ggggrandmother was Margaret Heath 1836-1920 in Indiana she married
                      Jacob Dowers and then George Buffington all in Indiana. Her father
                      was Charles Philo Almond Heath Born in NY or IN lived there whole
                      lives down around Switzerland Co and Rising Sun Indiana. What was
                      your grandmothers name? In 1850 there neighbors on the census were:
                      Ardon Heath family who i believe was Alvins brother if u notice
                      there is a child with the last name Jones.............KIM

                      1850 Census Switzerland co. IN Cotton Township
                      Alvin Heath 40 Farmer NY?
                      Mary 30 IA or PA
                      Daniel 16?
                      Margaret 16
                      John 13
                      Lydia 11
                      Alvin 8
                      Henry 7
                      Ardon? 2
                      Next door neighbors were:

                      Ardon Heath 50 Farmer
                      Sarah 48 Tenn
                      Ardon 24
                      Clarinda 22
                      Climenia 21
                      Sarah 17
                      Cynthia 15
                      Catherine 13
                      Angeline 10
                      George Heath 5
                      James 2
                      Matilda Jones 1

                      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, claire frustine

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 11, 2007
                        Hello Kim, my great grandmother was Ida M Heath, She was born in 1864 to Joseph Heath and Mary Johnson, I know they came to Indiana from Ohio, I think they were in Parke county
                        or Adams I'll try to find the census records later and get back to you. Ida buried her husband in 1917 and lived on till 1952 after all those babies strong Heath woman, LOL