Dead end?

  • mama2sally
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2007
      Hi all.

      I am researching my family tree and I have hit a dead end.
      I know who my father is, my Grandfather, great grandfather, and I know
      the name of my great great grandfather. But thats it.

      All my life I heard from my Grandfather how we were from
      Czechoslovakia.
      But I have no record of that. My grandfather himself was born in the
      US in 1908 -- (before there was a Czechoslovakia.)

      My grandfathers father (My great grandfather) filled out a couple of
      census reports (before WWI) saying that his father
      (who would be great-great grandfather) was born in Germany, but there
      really wasn't a Germany back when my Great-Great Grandfather was born.
      That said I dont know my Great-great grandfathers exact birthdate.

      The only information I have found on my Great-Great grandfather is a
      passinger list with his name on it from when he came to the US. But it
      says he came from Russia and had Russian citizenship. (Not German or
      Czech.)

      So I don't know what this means or how to go further back than this.
      I have no birth or death records for my Great-great grandfather
      I have no birth record for my great-grandfather but since he died in
      1974 we do have death records. I have birth records & death records
      for my grandfather & birth records for my dad.

      So how can I move forward with this search

      Thanks
    • Dianne Planeta
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2007
        If he came through Ellis Island check the record again
        to see if the is a town listed that he came from and
        who was the closest living relative left behind. Then
        see if your local library has any Atlas that shows the
        map of the area for that date .
        My husbands relatives all Polish and stating as so,
        but, when the Ellis Island pages were located, showed
        that they were classified as Austrian, German, and
        Russian. The reason was because at the time Poland was
        partitioned. So you also have to look at the political
        make-up of the area as well.

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • alizagg
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2007
          If your grandfather was born in 1908 in the US then he should be in
          the US 1910 census with his parents. The census record lists the
          country they were born in so that would give you the info. need on
          your g-grandather. Should also have his age listed too as well as
          immigration yr..sometimes marriage and naturalization is there too-
          so you really need to start with the census. Have you looked on
          ancestry.com? That's where I got all of mine.

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "mama2sally"