Rahilly - Riley research help needed, please?

  • Jim Riley
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2007
      Hi and Season's Greetings!

      Any members out there who can help me in my efforts to trace the
      Riley's (El Paso/McLean Co./Chicago, IL.) back to the Rahilly's
      (Ardfert/Castleisland/Ballyconlough) Kerry, Ireland?

      Back in February 2, 1818, it looks like my great-great-great
      grandaparents, Ty (Timothy) and Mary [Cournane/Cullinane (?)] Rahilly
      were married at the Currow Roman Catholic Church, in Co. Kerry,
      Ireland.

      Someone (a professional) wrote and told me this, and that Mary was
      born and baptised in 1798, in Ballyconlough, Co. Kerry, Ireland. I'd
      have to assume something like this is true for great-great-great
      grandpa Ty (Timothy) Rahilly as well.

      Then, they had several children baptised in Castleisland, Co. Kerry,
      Ireland, one of who is my great-great grandfather, Cornelius Rahilly
      (looks like by the time he boarded a ship to come to America, he
      signed-in as Riley). Cornelius may have changed his name on his own,
      due to a slight political disagreement with the royal family in
      England, or due to some ship company or American official's
      discretion? The family rumor being that there was a price on his
      head (though it looks like he travelled with his brother Daniel as
      well).

      Cornelius was born about 1829, baptised August 15, 1830 in
      Castleisland, Co. Kerry, Ireland. He emmigrated to the United States
      in 1847, and seems to have been aboard the American ship, Victoria
      which took him to New York, he then travelled to El Paso, IL. where
      he settled, married and had children of his own, including my
      great-grandfather, James W. Riley.

      Once my great-grandfather Cornelius made it to the United States, I
      have documents and stories...but, going back from his voyage to
      America, to anything about his life in Ireland, his parents, etc...I
      have nothing. Is there anyone out there who can help me document,
      his past, his parents past, etc... How can I get church or civil
      records in Ireland from here in America (I am okay, have a nice
      family and decent life, but not enough to travel to Ireland or
      anything like that).

      Please e-mail me directly, at jrileysrie@...

      Thank you and Merry Christmas!

      Jim/E.