English Immigrant

  • Nancy
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2007
      My grandfather immigrated to Canada from England (abt. 1880) with his
      step-father and mother when he was about 15. I've received his birth
      cert. from England (I'm 99 percent sure it's him), however my father's
      birth cert. from Mass. and a school record of my father's (N.Y. bording
      school) says my grandfather was born in Buffalo, N.Y. The data for
      thses two records probably would have been provided by my grandmother.
      I also feel qute sure my grandmother knew where he was born (England)
      and not New York. Does anyone have any idea as to why an immigrant
      would say he or she is born in the US versus their birth county?

      I have found the family in a 1910 U.S. census and the place of birth
      for my grandfather says "Can. - English".

      Nancy