Adoption

  • mommal1987
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2007
      My grandfather was adopted in 1938 in IL or WI. If anybody could
      please tell me how to start looking for his birth parents it would be
      greatly appricated. Lyndsey Underwood
    • cgeesproul@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2007
        Hello Lyndsey,

        ? I would start with the State Archives of Illinios

        or Wisconsin.? Check for the adoption decree in

        both places.? Chances are your grandfather will

        have been born in the same state.? If you can

        find an ammended?birth certificate, then you may

        petition the court to have the records unsealed.
        The two records should be in the same state.
        That would lead you to the?pre-adoption birth record.
        There may be hospital records if the hospital
        where your Grandfather was born is still operating.
        Enough time has passed so that there should be
        no problem with privacy for the birth parents.
        ? Was your grandfather legally adopted?? In my
        dad's family there were both legal and unoffical
        adoptions.? There will be less (or no) documents
        if the adoption was unoffical.? good luck,
        ??????? cgreen sproul

        My grandfather was adopted in 1938 in IL or WI. If anybody could
        please tell me how to start looking for his birth parents it would be
        greatly appricated. Lyndsey Underwood

      • Lyndsey Holm
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2007
          Thank you so much. This should help me out a tons. Is
          it hard to petition the courts? does it cost much? I
          will work on getting the adoption decree. thanks again
          Lyndsey

          mailto:genealogyresearchclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • cgeesproul@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2007
            Hi Lyndsey,

            ?? I don't know how much the process will cost.

            Petitioning the courts shouldn't be difficult, just

            time consuming.? Have you checked Cyndi's list

            for information on this topic??? She has an
            amazing library of reference links on all topics
            realting to family history and research.? Here is a link:

            www.cyndislist.com??? good luck with your search,