Merchant Marines

  • panther7775
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2007
      Hello All,
      Does anyone know of a site where i can search through a lists of
      Merchant Marines for WWII, and read about them?
      Thanks,
      Bonnie Seech-Dailey
      panther7775@...
    • galaxyofchoices
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2007
        http://www.usmm.org/ccphotos.html
        History and Photos of Merchant Marine Cadet Corps Life in the 1940's
        The Bland amendment of June 1938, created the United States Maritime
        Service for "training of licensed and unlicensed merchant marine
        personnel." The Maritime Commission's first report to Congress in
        January 1939 recommended establishment of a federal cadet system, and
        pointed out the need for officers with gunnery skills in case of war.
        In July 1942 control over the Cadet Corps was transferred from the
        Coast Guard to the War Shipping Administration.

        http://www.usmm.org/contact.html#contact3
        This is the site to request your Dad's record for Merchant Marines.
        You do need some info to receive them. His records should have a lot
        of info, including others he was deployed with. I'm assuming your
        Dad has passed, since you can't ask him. You can also get a stone
        for his grave.

        Go to
        ww2Connections@...

        Maybe some of these will help. These are all items that were offered
        to me when I had a Merchant Marine question.

        Good luck,
        Marsha

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "panther7775"
        <panther7775@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        > Does anyone know of a site where i can search through a lists of
        > Merchant Marines for WWII, and read about them?
        > Thanks,
        > Bonnie Seech-Dailey
        > panther7775@...

      • b
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 29, 2007
          Thankyou for your time. I am interested in the Merchant Marines. My Uncle was one. He is older now and unable to talk about it.
          Bonnie

          <panther7775@...> wrote:

          > Hello All,
          > Does anyone know of a site where i can search through a lists of
          > Merchant Marines for WWII, and read about them?
          > Thanks,
          > Bonnie Seech-Dailey
          > panther7775@...

          Bonnie A. Dailey

        • Forrest Plumstead
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2007
            I have a similar request. My fil was in the Navy but toward the end of the
            war he was assigned to a merchant marine vessel. He was credited with being
            the only person to sink a sub on a mm ship. Although he told me and his sons
            much about his WW II experiences he never told me the names of the ships he
            was on and they are not listed on his discharge papers. Any clues as to
            where I might look?

            Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
            PLUMSTEAD-L List master
            http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/surname/p/plumstead.html