An LDS definiton question

  • galaxyofchoices
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 28, 2007
      My definiton question of; {{Would someone be able to explain to me
      what the meaning of "Sealing
      > Spouse" is?
      >
      > * Married: 26 Nov 1569 in Colyton, Devonshire, England * Sealing
      > Spouse: 20 Jun 1946 in SLAKE
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > Marsha}}

      I received the following information, from a member of another group,
      in reply:

      --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "hummmmm, now thats
      interesting" <chuckbonsai@...> wrote:

      > Well being LDS i am sure that i can answer this question. Basic
      > doctrine of the church, is that families can be "sealed" to
      > eachother for all eternity. The LDS Church believes that families
      > perpetuate past death and that families can be forever. In
      > genealogy ordinance records compiled by the Church, temple
      > ordinances are sometimes listed where as families are sealed
      > togeather, parents to children and spouses togeather, creating the
      > eternal family. I hope that this helps. Chuck
    • Dianne Planeta
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 29, 2007
        I have seen this on some of my family also who were
        not Morman. Why would this be done on non-Morman
        families. Just curious, I know some people who
        wouldn't want to be any where near each other in the
        after life. LOL

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • snickers_gerlach
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 29, 2007
          Basicly church members research their families and then after finding
          them they do the temple work. You may not be a memeber but someone out
          there is if the work is being done. They also do temple work through
          extration programs in the church after recieving permision from the
          area of the world the film they are extracting came from.

          As far as being together it is still a personal choice. Just because
          the sealing work has been done it does not mean that your ancenstor
          acceppted the ordinace. They still have freedom of choice on the
          otherside. Church members are only tring to give them (your ancestors)
          the oppertunity to be with thier loved ones if they choose.

          Hope it helps,

          Michelle

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Dianne Planeta

          ____________
          > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

        • snickers_gerlach
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 29, 2007
            The sealing is an ordiance preformed by memebers in the Temples. If you
            think about normal vows at a marraige they say "until death do you
            part" we believe that with the worked preformed anyone can be togther
            for ever even after death, making a marriage last forever.

            As far as who is doing the work either a member is tied into your lines
            and they are preforming the work or they (the couple) was extracted
            through the churches ectraction program, after obtaining permissions
            from the area of the world that the film in question was obtained from.

            As far as people being togther or any other LDS work, the individual in
            question has to accept the work on the otherside, meaning they still
            have freedom of choice. We can preform the work down here on earth but
            our ancetors have to accept the work on their own on the otherside. So
            if the couple divorced or would rather not be together it is still
            thier choice. It is always thier choice, we just open the door for them
            to do so.

            If this shows up twice I appoligise the fist posting never showed on my
            computer....

            Hope this helps,

            ____________
            > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

          • galaxyofchoices
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 29, 2007
              Thank you Michelle. I appreciate your help.
              Thanks to all who have so kindly helped me to understand.

              Marsha

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "snickers_gerlach"
              <snickers_gerlach@...> wrote:

              > The sealing is an ordiance preformed by memebers in the Temples. If
              you
              > think about normal vows at a marraige they say "until death do you
              > part" we believe that with the worked preformed anyone can be
              togther
              > for ever even after death, making a marriage last forever.
              >
              > As far as who is doing the work either a member is tied into your
              lines
              > and they are preforming the work or they (the couple) was extracted
              > through the churches ectraction program, after obtaining
              permissions
              > from the area of the world that the film in question was obtained
              from.

              > As far as people being togther or any other LDS work, the
              individual in
              > question has to accept the work on the otherside, meaning they
              still
              > have freedom of choice. We can preform the work down here on earth
              but
              > our ancetors have to accept the work on their own on the otherside.
              So
              > if the couple divorced or would rather not be together it is still
              > thier choice. It is always thier choice, we just open the door for
              them
              > to do so.
              >
              > If this shows up twice I appoligise the fist posting never showed
              on my
              > computer....
              >
              > Hope this helps,
              >
              > Michelle
              >
              > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Dianne Planeta
              > <littledi1030@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have seen this on some of my family also who were
              > > not Morman. Why would this be done on non-Morman
              > > families. Just curious, I know some people who
              > > wouldn't want to be any where near each other in the
              > > after life. LOL

              __
              > ____________
              > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

            • galaxyofchoices
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 29, 2007
                Hi Diane,
                I'm the person who asked this question and it is on one of my
                ancestors information and I don't understand why when there is 500
                years difference. How could the person in 1945 known what the
                ancestors would have wanted, it's not like they called them up. I've
                seen this other places as well.
                I know what you mean about some people not wanting to be near each
                other in the afterlife. lol......

                Marsha

                ______________
                > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

              • ewema99
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 29, 2007
                  Hi Marsha -
                  I am LDS. I know it may seem disturbing for some people to think we
                  are sealing our non-Mormon relatives together for the eternities. But
                  it isn't that at all. We are providing the ordinance and the
                  relatives have the CHOICE to decide if they want to accept it or not.
                  God gave us all our free agency and we as LDS value that highly - we
                  would never take that away from our relatives (nobody even has that
                  power to take it away.)

                  It's an offer we make - they can accept it or not.
                  I've provided the ordinance for some of my own relatives that I am
                  pretty sure won't accept it. But how do I know for 100% sure? I don't
                  want to get to the other side and have them upset because I didn't do
                  the work while I had a chance. People change. We LDS beleive that
                  this life is just a part of our eternal progression...maybe our
                  relatives didn't like each other here and NOW, but will want to be
                  together eventally....we beleive that ordinance work has to be done
                  IN CASE they want to ever accept it.

                  Hope this helps you understand. Feel free to ask any more questions.
                  Catherine

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "galaxyofchoices"
                  <bakerhen@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Diane,
                  > I'm the person who asked this question and it is on one of my
                  > ancestors information and I don't understand why when there is 500
                  > years difference. How could the person in 1945 known what the
                  > ancestors would have wanted, it's not like they called them up.
                  I've
                  > seen this other places as well.
                  > I know what you mean about some people not wanting to be near each
                  > other in the afterlife. lol......
                  >
                  > Marsha
                  >

                  > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Dianne Planeta
                  > <littledi1030@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have seen this on some of my family also who were
                  > > not Morman. Why would this be done on non-Morman
                  > > families. Just curious, I know some people who
                  > > wouldn't want to be any where near each other in the
                  > > after life. LOL

                  > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                • galaxyofchoices
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 30, 2007
                    Thank you very much for your help. As each explanation or thought
                    comes across my email box, I understand more and more.

                    Thanks again to all.
                    Marsha

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "ewema99" <ewema99@...>