Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Digest Number 1348

  • Lyn ONeill-Burton
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2007
      Hello Megan and Susan, My advice as to how to get started with genealogy research is to: join a genealogy society close to you (google for locations) where you can meet other 'searchers,' all at different levels of research, and get some valuable 'how to' tips. Another great resource is a 'Family History Center' located at most LDS (Mormon) churches. At the FHC there are 'members' who will walk you through your research, answer your questions, and help direct you to additional resources. Good luck! Lyn - NC (Burton/Casswell/Cox/Chadwick/Erdmann/Grizzle/Hansen/Hogan/Kees/O'Neill/Pressley/Rollins/Teel/Upchurch .... AK/GA/NC/OK/TN)

      From: homeschool-gymnastics@...

      2a. Re: New member, many questions
      From: claire frustine
      2b. Re: New member, many questions
      From: Susan

      3a. Re: can't find great grandfather
      From: jbaconsr

      4a. Re: Free genealogy websites
      From: Kate
      4b. Re: Free genealogy websites
      From: Sharon Moore

      5. Indiana Harbor, Indiana
      From: Judy Ardine

      Messages

      1. Looking for Busey Roots
      Posted by: "homeschool-gymnastics@..." homeschool-gymnastics@... homeschool_gymnastics
      Date: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:52 am ((PST))

      I am looking for the Father of Thomas Busey born in 1844 in Residing in Cannon County Tennessee during the 1880 Census. Thomas was married to Mary (Jane, I believe) Fann Busey. He listed his father being born in North Carolina. Any help? JM

      Messages in this topic (1)

      2a. Re: New member, many questions
      Posted by: "claire frustine" cfrustine@... cfrustine
      Date: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:52 am ((PST))

      Hello Megan Hey, I just signed on to see if anyone had new information for me but I'm a year into this research and have helped a couple of other folks and have been helped by others so I'd be more than happy to lend a hand, I'm also on ancestry world and a couple of other sites so ask away and i'll take a look for you, simple way to start is with your self and your parents and grandparents and work back, some dates and locations are a start then we can work back Surnames for maternal and paternal sides are a big help and remembering that many people changed the spelling of their last names when arriveing in this country, so don't think some information is wrong because of spelling changes or errors on a census reports I found quite the mess in almost all my records, scared me to death at first but it gets easier with time so just ask I'll try to lend a hand.

      Megan Heyl <jester1380@...> wrote: Hello everyone!
      My name is Megan and I am as green to genealogy as it gets. I attended
      a program at our public library last week and they gave an overview on
      searching for your past. I feel like I am swimming in unchartered
      waters here, not knowing where to start and what do "get" in terms of
      supplies, books, programs etc.

      If anyone could "take me under their wing" and help me get a start on
      this "journey", I'd greatly appreciate it. I see it would be very easy
      to purchase all the books at Barnes and Noble, and sign up for and pay
      for online services, but not knowing what to do or direction to start is
      my dilemma.

      Thanks in advance to all who can give me a "guide" / "helping hand".
      And hope everyone has a safe and wonderful holiday. I hope to take some
      of the time off and start the "dig".
      Megan

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Messages in this topic (3)

      2b. Re: New member, many questions
      Posted by: "Susan" pasusan02@... pasusan022000
      Date: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:53 am ((PST))

      Hello Megan,

      I am also very new to this...you are already light years ahead of me
      just by taking the course through your library. I don't have lots of
      financial resources to put into my search, so what I need are
      reliable, reasonable search tools. What information do you need to
      start a search?

      Susan

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Megan Heyl
      <jester1380@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone!
      > My name is Megan and I am as green to genealogy as it gets. I
      attended
      > a program at our public library last week and they gave an overview
      on
      > searching for your past. I feel like I am swimming in unchartered
      > waters here, not knowing where to start and what do "get" in terms
      of
      > supplies, books, programs etc.
      >
      > If anyone could "take me under their wing" and help me get a start
      on
      > this "journey", I'd greatly appreciate it. I see it would be very
      easy
      > to purchase all the books at Barnes and Noble, and sign up for and
      pay
      > for online services, but not knowing what to do or direction to
      start is
      > my dilemma.
      >
      > Thanks in advance to all who can give me a "guide" / "helping hand".
      > And hope everyone has a safe and wonderful holiday. I hope to take
      some
      > of the time off and start the "dig".
      > Megan

      Messages in this topic (3)

      3a. Re: can't find great grandfather
      Posted by: "jbaconsr" jbaconsr@... jbaconsr
      Date: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:53 am ((PST))

      According to the WWI draft registration he registed in 1917-18 in
      Easton,Northampton Co. PA as married. I have searched 1920
      Northampton county on Ancestry, and found no one who matches Charles
      age or name. I'll check around the area some more and let you know
      if I find him.

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "snbmoore"
      <snbmoore@...> wrote:

      > Can anyone find a census record for my great grandfather CHARLES
      > SPERLBAUM when he's married to KATHRYN YOVICH ( Hungarian spelling
      > JOVITS) and where it lists their children? We think they lived in
      the
      > Lehigh/ Northampton area in PA. I have the census record from 1930
      > when he was 39 yrs old living with his brother in Bath,
      Northampton,
      > Pa and the 1910 census where he's 10 living in catasauqua, lehigh,
      pa.

      > I have 18 Apr 1890 as Charles' birth date...born in Weisport, Pa. I
      > have Kathryn's birth year as 1894, born in Mokrin, Hungary; but
      that's
      > all the info I have on them.
      >
      > Thank you so much for all the help!!!!!
      > Sharon

      Messages in this topic (3)

      4a. Re: Free genealogy websites
      Posted by: "Kate" chrismomxyz@... chrismomxyz
      Date: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:56 am ((PST))

      Hi-

      Try family search:
      http://www.familysearch.org/

      rootsweb:
      http://www.rootsweb.com/

      and use Google. :)

      Kate

      snbmoore <snbmoore@...> wrote: Does anyone know of free genealogy websites that I can research my
      ancestors on?
      thanks for your help,
      Sharon

      Messages in this topic (6)

      4b. Re: Free genealogy websites
      Posted by: "Sharon Moore" snbmoore@... snbmoore
      Date: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:56 am ((PST))

      PA...and how do you look up people who came over from Germany?
      thanks,
      sharon

      NANA22845@... wrote: Here are some of my favorites

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/newsearch.htm

      http://www.findagrave.com/

      http://www.publicrecordcenter.com/

      http://www.genlookups.com/

      http://ssdi.rootsweb.com/

      If you could post what states I have some great ones for several states.
      Shirley

      Messages in this topic (6)

      5. Indiana Harbor, Indiana
      Posted by: "Judy Ardine" downeast@... eyrecarr
      Date: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:56 am ((PST))

      From google:

      <http://www.lrc.usace.army.mil/co-o/Ind_Hbr.htm>Indiana Harbor,
      <http://www.lrc.usace.army.mil/co-o/Ind_Hbr.htm>Indiana

      Location: Indiana Harbor is located on the southwest shore of Lake Michigan
      in East Chicago, Indiana about 6 miles southeast of Calumet Harbor and 19
      miles ...
      www.lrc.usace.army.mil/co-o/Ind_Hbr.htm - 6k -
      <http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:CU7tnA5I3osJ:www.lrc.usace.army.mil/co-o/Ind_Hbr.htm+Indiana+Harbor&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us>Cached
      -
      <http://www.google.com//search?hl=en&q=related:www.lrc.usace.army.mil/co-o/Ind_Hbr.htm>Similar
      pages

      Also, the Indiana state genweb pages allows you to search for unknown
      counties by town name.

      Messages in this topic (1)