Re:New member, many questions

  • Catherine Lamb
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 22, 2007
      Hi - Welcome to genealogy- let us know when the bug
      bites and you become addicted haha..we can all
      commiserate with you.

      To start, I suggest going to www.familysearch.org and
      reading their "getting started" guide. Be sure to
      download their free PAF program while you are there.
      It is wonderful, and you can enter all the information
      you find into it. There are also free PAF tutors.

      After you have gathered all you know, and asked all
      your living relatives what they know THEN you'll be
      ready for research. You can get suggestions for that
      at www.familysearch.org too. I can't think of
      anything you need to BUY. If you have good internet,
      you are good to go for weeks and weeks of genealogy.

      As for me- I do depend on www.ancestry.com a lot. I
      live in China, so it makes writing letters to
      courthouses and such annoying. So I like to find what
      I can online. It is a subscription service. Of all the
      ones I've looked at, it seems to have the most.

      You can look on www.familysearch.org also to see if
      any of your deceased relatives have been researched -
      but take those as "clues", not "set in stone concrete"
      information - some of it is not right. I know because
      I contributed a relative years ago before I had
      thoroughly documented him....*sigh. It might also put
      you in touch with other people who are researching
      your family line.

      I'll be happy to answer any questions - just email me.
      Put "genealogy help" in the subject line because I
      automatically delete a lot of spam-looking emails from
      my yahoo account.

      Have fun! It's a great addiction :)
      Catherine