VERA surname Brick Wall

  • vav49
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 23, 2007
      Hello Everyone,
      I hope someone can give me advice on how to get around a brick
      wall.
      I am tying to research my paternal Great Grandparents. They are:
      Joaquin VERA, wife: Mary/Maria CELESTINA. They are from the Azores
      Islands, Portugal (not sure which of the nine islands). They had at
      least one son (my grandfather) Joseph VERA, b. abt. 1883) Unfortunatly,
      I have no event dates for them (birth, marriage, death), which is
      making it very diffuclt trying to get info on them. I checked Ellis
      island records but found nothing. I cannot get info from the Azores
      without dates and the names of the town, parrish, and island.
      QUESTON: Is there a website that has transcriptions or images of
      the manifests for the ships that brought immigrants into the ports of
      Boston, MA, New Bedford, MA, Fall River, MA and Providence, RI ???
      Any suggestons will be most appreciated. Thank you.
    • John
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 23, 2007
        You can try the Immigrant Ship's Passenger Lists website at

        http://www.immigrantships.net/

        "We have over 8000 passenger manifests which have been transcribed by
        our dedicated volunteers. You can search easily by surname, captain's
        name, port of arrival/departure or name of the ship. This link will
        take you to Volume 1, from there you can access all nine volumes."
        =======================================
        Another website is The Ships List at http://www.theshipslist.com/

        "TheShipsList website, online since August 1999, will help you find
        your ancestors on ships' passenger lists.We also have immigration
        reports, newspaper records, shipwreck information, ship pictures,
        ship descriptions, shipping-line fleet lists and more; as well as
        hundreds of passenger lists to Canada, USA, Australia and even some
        for South Africa."
        And don't forget Cyndi's List where I found the following:

        http://www.cyndislist.com/portugal.htm (all things portugal)

        Hope this helps,

        John Wolfe
        Corinth, Texas

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, vav49 <no_reply@...>

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 23, 2007
          Hi John,

          Thank you soooo much for those 3 links. They should keep me busy for
          a while, lol. If I find them I'll be sure to let you know.

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "John"
          <computerwolf@...> wrote:

          > You can try the Immigrant Ship's Passenger Lists website at
          >
          > http://www.immigrantships.net/
          >
          > "We have over 8000 passenger manifests which have been transcribed
          by
          > our dedicated volunteers. You can search easily by surname,
          captain's
          > name, port of arrival/departure or name of the ship. This link will
          > take you to Volume 1, from there you can access all nine volumes."
          > =======================================
          > Another website is The Ships List at http://www.theshipslist.com/
          >
          > "TheShipsList website, online since August 1999, will help you find
          > your ancestors on ships' passenger lists.We also have immigration
          > reports, newspaper records, shipwreck information, ship pictures,
          > ship descriptions, shipping-line fleet lists and more; as well as
          > hundreds of passenger lists to Canada, USA, Australia and even some
          > for South Africa."
          > And don't forget Cyndi's List where I found the following:
          >
          > http://www.cyndislist.com/portugal.htm (all things portugal)
          >

          > Hope this helps,
          >
          > John Wolfe
          > Corinth, Texas
          >

          > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, vav49 <no_reply@>
          > wrote:
          >
          > Hello Everyone, I hope someone can give me advice on how to get
          > around a brick wall. I am tying to research my paternal Great
          > Grandparents. They are: Joaquin VERA, wife: Mary/Maria CELESTINA.
          > They are from the Azores Islands, Portugal (not sure which of the
          > nine islands). They had at least one son (my grandfather) Joseph
          > VERA, b. abt. 1883) Unfortunatly, I have no event dates for them
          > (birth, marriage, death), which is making it very diffuclt trying
          > get info on them. I checked Ellis island records but found nothing.
          > cannot get info from the Azores without dates and the names of the
          > town, parrish, and island. QUESTON: Is there a website that has
          > transcriptions or images of the manifests for the ships that
          brought
          > immigrants into the ports of Boston, MA, New Bedford, MA, Fall
          River,
          > MA and Providence, RI ??? Any suggestons will be most appreciated.
          > Thank you.

        • NANCY MARIE BABER
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 23, 2007
            I found and have used these websites I found at my local library website in South Bend, Indiana & in Fremont, California where I grew up. They might be helpful to all.
            http://genealogyspo t.com/
            http://www.castlega rden.org/
            http://www.loc. gov/rr/genealogy /
            http://www.archives .gov/genealogy/
            http://www.sjcpl. org/subjectguide s/index.php/ Finding_Birth_ Families
            http://www.glorecor ds.blm.gov/
            http://www.newengla ndancestors. org/
            http://www.netlibra ry.com/Details. aspx
            http://www.familyhi story.com/
            http://www.loc. gov/coll/ nucmc/
            http://www.uidaho. edu/special- collections/ Other.Repositori es.html
            http://www.daddezio .com/genealogy/ ships/
            http://www.genealog ytoday.com/ barrel/
            http://www.genhomep age.com/societie s.html
            http://www.daddezio .com/society/
            http://www.vitalche k.com/
            http://www.newspape rlinks.com/ home.cfm
            http://www.archives .gov/
            http://www.aclibrar y.org/research/ default.asp? topic=Research&cat=GenealogyCollec tionsandLibrarie s
            http://ngsgenealogy .org/
            http://www.acpl. lib.in.us/ genealogy/ index.html
            http://www.genealog y.org/
            http://www.onelibra ry.com/Library/ calslsut. htm
            http://www.dar. org/library/ default.cfm

            Link to St Joseph County Library Genealogy website lists
            http://www.sjcpl. org/subjectguide s/index.php/ History-Genealog y_Websites

            Link to Alameda County Public library Genealogy
            http://www.aclibrar y.org/research/ default.asp? topic=Research&cat=GenealogyFamily History

            I'm sure there's more out there.

            Happy Searching, Hope these sites can bring help to all.

            Nancy Marie Baber
            In South Bend, Indiana
            Formerly from the San Francisco Bay Area.

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 28, 2007
              Hi Nancy,
              Thank you for all of those links. If I find any info on my
              grandfather of his parents at any of the links, I let you know.

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, NANCY MARIE BABER
              <topfuel_55@...> wrote:

              > I found and have used these websites I found at my local library
              website in South Bend, Indiana & in Fremont, California where I grew
              up. They might be helpful to all.
              > http://genealogyspo t.com/
              > http://www.castlega rden.org/
              > http://www.loc. gov/rr/genealogy /
              > http://www.archives .gov/genealogy/
              > http://www.sjcpl. org/subjectguide s/index.php/ Finding_Birth_
              Families
              > http://www.glorecor ds.blm.gov/
              > http://www.newengla ndancestors. org/
              > http://www.netlibra ry.com/Details. aspx
              > http://www.familyhi story.com/
              > http://www.loc. gov/coll/ nucmc/
              > http://www.uidaho. edu/special- collections/ Other.Repositori
              es.html
              > http://www.daddezio .com/genealogy/ ships/
              > http://www.genealog ytoday.com/ barrel/
              > http://www.genhomep age.com/societie s.html
              > http://www.daddezio .com/society/
              > http://www.vitalche k.com/
              > http://www.newspape rlinks.com/ home.cfm
              > http://www.archives .gov/
              > http://www.aclibrar y.org/research/ default.asp?
              topic=Research&cat=GenealogyCollec tionsandLibrarie s
              > http://ngsgenealogy .org/
              > http://www.acpl. lib.in.us/ genealogy/ index.html
              > http://www.genealog y.org/
              > http://www.onelibra ry.com/Library/ calslsut. htm
              > http://www.dar. org/library/ default.cfm
              >

              > Link to St Joseph County Library Genealogy website lists
              > http://www.sjcpl. org/subjectguide s/index.php/ History-Genealog
              y_Websites

              > Link to Alameda County Public library Genealogy
              > http://www.aclibrar y.org/research/ default.asp?
              topic=Research&cat=GenealogyFamily History

              > I'm sure there's more out there.
              >
              > Happy Searching, Hope these sites can bring help to all.
              >
              > Nancy Marie Baber
              > In South Bend, Indiana
              > Formerly from the San Francisco Bay Area.

            • marilyn krieger

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 6, 2007
                  Hi Marilyn!
                  Invite me! My mom is a Barber. Where are yours from?