Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re:Ancestry.com

  • Donna Roberts
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
      Yes, I got that info.... sorry, thought I had responded. I have the Brochu Family tree under control. I've been also working on a Charette, my father's tree, Rhodes, my children's father's tree, and Roberts, my current husbands tree. I've been a busy girl!!! lol

      I have a few questions. First, I've only been able to get to my children's great grandfather, J William Rhodes, born about 1878 in Alabama. I could only find him on the 1930 census. I checked all the census' from 1880 - 1930... nothing. At least I was able to get his wife and children!! I wasn't able to find another thing about him. My children's grandfather was Ted Rhodes. I was able to find birthdate and death date, and several marriages and divorces... The other question I have is, did they a census in 1940? Also, i found the 1960 census, but I can't seem to find anything other than statistics. Do they no longer give names in the census? If so, what part of the census should I download?

      Thanks again for all the help everyone has given me!!

      Donna

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 8, 2007
        Donna: The US does a census every 10 years, including 1940, 1950, 1960
        etc. however, the information is not released until the data is 72 years
        old for privacy reasons. So the last release was the 1930 census. It
        will be 2012 before the 1940 census is released. Prior to that only
        general statistically information is available.

        Clark

        Oregon

        _____

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 9, 2007
          Thanks Clark.... someone just told me that... i didn't know!!

          Donna

          Oregon

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 9, 2007
            I was able to find birthdate and death date, and several marriages and
            divorces... The other question I have is, did they a census in 1940?
            Also, i found the 1960 census, but I can't seem to find anything other
            than statistics. Do they no longer give names in the census? If so,
            what part of the census should I download?

            > Thanks again for all the help everyone has given me!!
            >
            > Donna
            >

            > There has been a census every ten years, but they are not released
            for I believe about 70 years. I cannot recall exactly but I think the
            1940 census will be released about 2014. You can get statistics but not
            actual names. This is done for privacy.

            Lisa