Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re:Ancestry.com

  • Tammy Jernigan
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
      Donna,
      Hi this Tammy. Did you recieve my e-mail about your family being Canada/French. Marion's Father was August Messier and her mother was Marilda. Marion full name was Marianna and in the 1900 census they were in Rhode Island.her is a copy of the census.
      1900 census
      Name: August Messier Home in 1900: Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island Age: 37 Estimated birth year: abt 1863 Birthplace: Canada French Relationship to head-of-house: Head Spouse's name: Marilda Race: White Occupation: View image Immigration Year: 1870 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age August Messier 37 Marilda Messier 35 Mary Messier 15 Rorabla Messier 11 Marcianna Messier 6 Arthur Messier 5 Charles A Messier 3 Francos Messier 2 Eustache A Messier 1---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      1910 census
      Name: August Messier Jr.
      [August Sr Messier Jr.] Age in 1910: 46 Estimated birth year: abt 1864 Birthplace: Canada French Relation to Head of House: Head Father's Birth Place: Canada French Mother's Birth Place: Canada French Spouse's name: Matilda Home in 1910: Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island Marital Status: Married Race: White Gender: Male Year of Immigration: 1872 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age August Messier Jr. 46 Matilda Messier 44 Rosalba Messier 21 Marianne Messier 16 Arthur Messier 14 Charles A Messier 13 Francois E Messier
      12 Eastack Messier 11 Andrew Messier 9 Eva Messier 8 Dora Messier 6 Philip Messier 3 Marianna J Messier 1/12---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Now if you notice her and hubby are living in same area and on the census it saids her parents were Canada/French.Plus she named one of her children August.

      1930 census
      Name: Marion Brochu Home in 1930: Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island Age: AgeWith12ths('36',false);36 Estimated birth year: abt 1894 Relation to Head of House: Wife Spouse's name: Romeo Occupation:

      Education:

      Military Service:

      Rent/home value:

      Age at first marriage:

      Parents' birthplace:

      View image
      Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Romeo Brochu 37 Marion Brochu 36 Theresa Brochu 14 Armand Brochu 13 Antoinette Brochu 10 Raymond Brochu 88 Agustus Brochu 3 Rita Brochu 1 8/12____________________________________________________________________

    • Donna Roberts
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
        Yes, I got that info.... sorry, thought I had responded. I have the Brochu Family tree under control. I've been also working on a Charette, my father's tree, Rhodes, my children's father's tree, and Roberts, my current husbands tree. I've been a busy girl!!! lol

        I have a few questions. First, I've only been able to get to my children's great grandfather, J William Rhodes, born about 1878 in Alabama. I could only find him on the 1930 census. I checked all the census' from 1880 - 1930... nothing. At least I was able to get his wife and children!! I wasn't able to find another thing about him. My children's grandfather was Ted Rhodes. I was able to find birthdate and death date, and several marriages and divorces... The other question I have is, did they a census in 1940? Also, i found the 1960 census, but I can't seem to find anything other than statistics. Do they no longer give names in the census? If so, what part of the census should I download?

        Thanks again for all the help everyone has given me!!

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007
          Just a thought about subscribing to Ancesty - I saw the Family Tree Maker's deluxe version (I think it was the deluxe version - they had them all) on Amazon for about $50. It comes with a one year free subscription to the WHOLE ancestry site - including overseas. A few of the other versions had 3 month or 6 month free subscriptions, but that is a great deal- even if you don't want to use the software!!

          Kathy
          Genealogists never die, they just lose their census.
        • Clark & Rita Pederson
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 8, 2007
            Donna: The US does a census every 10 years, including 1940, 1950, 1960
            etc. however, the information is not released until the data is 72 years
            old for privacy reasons. So the last release was the 1930 census. It
            will be 2012 before the 1940 census is released. Prior to that only
            general statistically information is available.

            Clark

            Oregon

            _____

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 9, 2007
              Thanks Clark.... someone just told me that... i didn't know!!

              Donna

              Oregon

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 9, 2007
                I was able to find birthdate and death date, and several marriages and
                divorces... The other question I have is, did they a census in 1940?
                Also, i found the 1960 census, but I can't seem to find anything other
                than statistics. Do they no longer give names in the census? If so,
                what part of the census should I download?

                > Thanks again for all the help everyone has given me!!
                >
                > Donna
                >

                > There has been a census every ten years, but they are not released
                for I believe about 70 years. I cannot recall exactly but I think the
                1940 census will be released about 2014. You can get statistics but not
                actual names. This is done for privacy.

                Lisa