Re: [Genealogy Research Club] New to the group

  • jonczar@copper.net
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
      Tom Knox June 24 1896 June 5 1984 Grave Highland Cemetery
      in Collin Co, TX on FindaGrave.com. Since Carrie died earlier, I have no idea where he went from their common household.
      Jon
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 10, 2008
        Hello to all. We are new to the group. (my son and I)

        We have been researching or family line of:

        Vieillard/Williar/Williard/Willyard/Wilyard

        We have traced the family back to 1635 in Germany.

        Have obtain a good bit of information until the family moved to

        Fayette county Pennsylvania. This is where we hit a few brick walls.

        Is there anyone that might be able to help us. We can post what
        information

        we have so far.

        My son is 16 years old and started with his Grammy doing the family
        research when he

        was around 10. My mother became very ill with cancer and passed away
        Sept. 11, 2007

        He has walked many cemeteries, went to court houses, libraries, and
        looked up as much as

        he could in newspaper archives that could been seen on the web that was
        free to view.

        Thankful for any help here.

        Sincerely,

        Jane and Daniel
      • Mechelle Wallace
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 10, 2008
          Hi Jane and Daniel,

          I am also looking at the Fayette County area of PA.  I have requested a look up for
          the 1786 birth of my Joseph Cunningham, and so far no luck.  Please keep me posted
          if you are able to find anyone with access to these records....

          Best Regards,
          Mechelle

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 10, 2008
            welcome and sorry abt your loss.
            i have a subsc to newspaperarchive.com so if u find something u want let me know and I'll grab it for you.
            sunny

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 10, 2008
              Sunny,

              What are the chances of finding a birth notice from 1810 in Berkshire
              County, Mass? Do the newspaper archives go back that far and were
              birth notices printed back then?

              thanks,
              Patti
              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "circa_1948"
              <circa_1948@...> wrote:

              > welcome and sorry abt your loss.
              > i have a subsc to newspaperarchive.com so if u find something u
              want let me know and I'll grab it for you.
              > sunny

            • Can't remember
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 10, 2008
                Mechelle,

                My son is going to the Fayette county court house and the PA room @ the
                Uniontown library in

                the next few weeks. Maybe he can find some information for you.

                Jane
                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Mechelle Wallace
                <mechelle.wallace@...> wrote:

                > Hi Jane and Daniel,
                >
                > I am also looking at the Fayette County area of PA. I have requested
                a look up for
                > the 1786 birth of my Joseph Cunningham, and so far no luck. Please
                keep me posted
                > if you are able to find anyone with access to these records....
                >
                > Best Regards,
                > Mechelle

              • circa_1948
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 10, 2008
                  they are from 1759-present
                  not all papers are there but that doesn't matter. notices are sometimes found across the us from the death place.
                  I.e. my grandpa died in Ohio but his birthplace and where he was raised was in pa. both places had his obit.
                  Just let me know full name, birth & death dates (as much as u know) and places (all places a deceased lived for any significant amt of time and some closer fam names (spouse/siblings/kids). It all helps determine a specific person.
                  send to circa_1948@... so as not to bog down the list-I may have several Qs up and coming.

                  <circa_1948@...> wrote:

                  > welcome and sorry abt your loss.
                  > i have a subsc to newspaperarchive.com so if u find something u
                  want let me know and I'll grab it for you.
                  > sunny

                • Can't remember
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 10, 2008
                    Mechelle,

                    Daniel here. Can you give me some more information on Joseph Cunningham?
                    I did come accross

                    a Joseph Cunningham in my research. I will go through my notes tonight
                    after football practice

                    and have Mom type up and send you what I have.

                    Hope it helps

                    Daniel
                    <mechelle.wallace@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Jane and Daniel,
                    >
                    > I am also looking at the Fayette County area of PA. I have requested
                    a look up for
                    > the 1786 birth of my Joseph Cunningham, and so far no luck. Please
                    keep me posted
                    > if you are able to find anyone with access to these records....
                    >
                    > Best Regards,
                    > Mechelle

                  • Linda Remillard
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 10, 2008
                      I have an intenational membership to ancestry and footnote and world vital records, If you need someting let me know Linda

                      <circa_1948@ ...> wrote:

                      > welcome and sorry abt your loss.
                      > i have a subsc to newspaperarchive. com so if u find something u
                      want let me know and I'll grab it for you.
                      > sunny

                    • sheila simpson
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 10, 2008
                        I am searching  my family tree also, i know there are conaway,s in w.v. that was my mothers maiden name, i can use all of the help i can get, and if i can help anyone i will, thank you sheila simpson

                        SHEILA SIMPSON

                        <circa_1948@ ...> wrote:

                        > welcome and sorry abt your loss.
                        > i have a subsc to newspaperarchive. com so if u find something u
                        want let me know and I'll grab it for you.
                        > sunny

                      • Mechelle Wallace
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 10, 2008
                          Thanks to both of you!!  The problem is there is a well know Hugh Cunningham, he is documented by many. There was a Joseph Sr. and on down to IV. The moved from PA.
                          to Rowan Co. NC.  I am finding NO link to those Cunninghams.

                          My Joseph was born 1786, possibly in Fayette Co. He is Irish, and it is likely that he was
                          Protestant. He left PA. by 1820. Joseph and later generations were all farmers.
                          I have no other information for him until 1833 (tax records in Greene Co. MO.).  His wife's name was Elizabeth, and she was born in NC. His only known son was named William
                          Lewis, and Wm. named his son John Lewis. Lewis was a name that was passed down in the family.

                          I have been stuck on this for a long time. I will appreciate whatever you can find.

                          <mechelle.wallace@ ...> wrote:

                          > Hi Jane and Daniel,
                          >
                          > I am also looking at the Fayette County area of PA. I have requested
                          a look up for
                          > the 1786 birth of my Joseph Cunningham, and so far no luck. Please
                          keep me posted
                          > if you are able to find anyone with access to these records....
                          >
                          > Best Regards,
                          > Mechelle

                        • William Fraser
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 11, 2008
                            Linda, if you can find anything on a Joseph Crawford (bn 1790 in SC/NC) that was married to Mary Ann "Polly" Cauble/Cobble, I would sure appreciate it.  We've been searching long and hard attempting to find anything that would help us nail down the family he is from.  We believe that his parents were James Crawford and Sara Shaffer and that James' parents were Joseph Crawford and Agnes McGinty....but we don't have any documentation or records to support it.

                            Your help would be greatly appreciated.

                            <circa_1948@ ...> wrote:

                            > welcome and sorry abt your loss.
                            > i have a subsc to newspaperarchive. com so if u find something u
                            want let me know and I'll grab it for you.
                            > sunny

                          • Mary E. Conley
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 11, 2008
                              Hello William,

                              I have "gathered" (not the best thing a genealogist can say) some information on a Joseph Crawford b 1777.  I hope this information is of help.  I'll give you what I have but none of it is verified; any sources I have will be in bold and in blue text.  I'll start with his parents.

                              James Crawford b. Abt 1752; d Abt 1825 http://pages.prodigy.net/dr_fission/family.htm
                               m Elizabeth England b Abt 1752; d Abt 1829 in Limestone Co, AL same source 13 kids
                                 John Crawford b Abt 1768; d Bet 1816-1818 in Lawrence Co, AR same source
                                 Sallie Crawford b Abt 1772 no source
                                 Moses Crawford b Abt 1774; d 1832 Spring River, Lawrence, AR
                                 Elizabeth Crawford b Abt 1776 same source
                                 Joseph Crawford b 1777 in NC; d Sep 1838 in Greene Co, IN same source
                                   m 10 Apr 1799 in Knox Co, TN Elizabeth "Betsy" Brock b 1782 in Halifax, Halifax, NC; d 1841 in Clinton, Putnam, IN; Dr. Kevan C. Crawford Dr. Fission@...; buried in Rogers Cemetery, Union Twp, Parke, IN
                                 Vineyard Crawford b Abt 1780; d Aft 1860 in Scott Co, AR no source
                                 Jesse H. Crawford b 27 Apr 1784 in NC; d 12 Aug 1863 in Nacogdoches, Nacogdoches, TX no source
                                 Colby Crawford b Abt 1786 in Pendleton Co, SC; d 1843 in Lawrence Co, AR no source
                                 Casander Crawford b Abt 1788 in Pendleton Co, SC no source
                                 Rachel Crawford b Abt 1790 in Pendleton Co, SC no source
                                 Mary Elizabeth "Polly" Crawford First Families of Tennessee - Family File Named:
                              Raymond William Martin Schuknecht Sr. (James Brock); b 11 Nov 1793 in Pendleton Co, SC http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~guyzimmerman/b135.htm#P4382 or Byrdstown, Pickett, TN Genealogy Research by Billiy Joe Kendall; d 27 Dec 1852 Wapello, IA same 2 sources; buried in Ralston Cemetery Wapello, IA Billiy Joe Kendall
                                   m Abt 1809 in Pickett Co, TN Geroge Ambrose Brock Billiy Joe Kendall  (I have much more on this family including 13 children who are my 3rd great grand aunts & uncles and their descendants.)
                                 Samuel Crawford b Abt 1796 in Pendleton Co, SC; d 1846 in Lawrence Co, AR no source
                                 Russell J Crawford b 8 Sep 1798 in Pendleton Co, SC; d Aug 1867 in Denton Co, TX http://pages.prodigy.net/dr_fission/family.htm

                              Please let me know if you would like more on the Mary Elizabeth & Geroge Ambrose Brock family and how you are related to Joseph.

                              Thanks,

                              <circa_1948@ ...> wrote:

                              > welcome and sorry abt your loss.
                              > i have a subsc to newspaperarchive. com so if u find something u
                              want let me know and I'll grab it for you.
                              > sunny

                            • William Fraser
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 12, 2008
                                Mary, It's hard to express how happy I am that you took the time to actually search for my family for me.  It is really appreciated.  However, I didn't see that this is my family afterall.  They may be related in some way, but it's not my Joseph Crawford.  We aren't sure where the younger Joseph was born (in 1790) as he says SC on one census (Anderson Co, Tx 1850) and Kentucky on another (Anderson Co, Tx 1860).  However, I do know that he married Polly Cauble in Rowan County, NC on May 11, 1816.  His family was from around the Waxhaw area of SC/NC.  His father, it is said, was James Crawford.  James' father was named Joseph Crawford.  James was married to a Sara(h) Shaffer. and the older Joseph to Agnes McGinty.  They seemed to have moved to KY for awhile, then to TN and then subsequently Joseph and Polly moved to Texas.  Their daughter, Mary Ann Crawford, married first to, it is claimed, a Houston that was related to Sam Houston.  This is in
                                doubt although she did have a child named Caroline Houston.  She then married John Denson.
                                My connection is that their daughter Rachel Denson married Napoleon G. Fraser and their son, Shiles B. Fraser, was my grandfather.
                                The main lines that I research from my fathers side are:Fraser/Frazier (spelled both ways in the family), Denson, Crawford, Carlock, Jackson, Means, Harris, and Johnson.
                                The main lines that I research from my mothers side are:Skinner,Smith, Woodham, Bruce, Mozingo,Witherington, Dubose,Tyson,Kelly

                                Thanks again for your help.  It was very nice of you to do that!!!

                                     m 10 Apr 1799 in Knox Co, TN Elizabeth "Betsy" Brock b 1782 in Halifax, Halifax, NC; d 1841 in Clinton, Putnam, IN; Dr. Kevan C. Crawford Dr. Fission@prodigy. com; buried in Rogers Cemetery, Union Twp, Parke, IN

                                <circa_1948@ ...> wrote:

                                > welcome and sorry abt your loss.
                                > i have a subsc to newspaperarchive. com so if u find something u
                                want let me know and I'll grab it for you.
                                > sunny

                              • exmedicrider
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 12, 2009
                                  I am new to the group and I live in VA. Researching my VA Taylor family. My Taylors are from Essex and Caroline County VA. Wondering if anyone has come across James Zachary Taylor b:1855 in Virginia, possibly Caroline County, and married to Katherine Matilda Taylor b:1863. The family lived in Essex County Va from at least 1900. James died 1938 at Eastern State Hospital in Williamsburg, VA where he had been committed for several years. I have been unsuccessful in finding any records that would indicate his whereabouts prior to 1882. His death records list his parents as unknown. Marriage record Dec 1882
                                  for James and Kate states that he was born in Caroline County VA but has his parents listed the same as Kate's. (John M Taylor and Mary Thomas). I think that this is a mistake. I would love to communicate with anyone who may have come across this family in their research or have any ideas on how to proceed.
                                • Kate
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 13, 2009
                                    Hi-

                                    Here is a possibility in 1860:

                                    1860 United States Federal Census

                                    Name:
                                    James Taylor

                                    Age in 1860:
                                    3

                                    Birth Year:
                                    abt 1857

                                    Home in 1860:
                                    Caroline, Virginia

                                    Gender:
                                    Male

                                    Post Office:
                                    Moss Neck

                                    Value of real estate:
                                    View Image

                                    Household Members:

                                    Name
                                    Age

                                    James Taylor
                                    43

                                    Lucy J Taylor
                                    34

                                    Mary Taylor
                                    8

                                    Richard Taylor
                                    7

                                    James Taylor
                                    3

                                    Robert Taylor
                                    1

                                    Source Citation: Year: 1860; Census Place:  , Caroline, Virginia; Roll: M653_1339; Page: 744; Image: 174.
                                    Kate

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 14, 2009
                                      Thanks for the help Kate. I will check this out. My family has so many common names it is hard to work through who is who. James, John, Mary, etc.