Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Ancestry.com

  • Donna Roberts
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
      I have a handle on my grandmother now. Ancestry.com had a free 3-day premium trial that i'm using. amazing how much info is on there!!!

      thanks for everyone's help!!

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
        Have you tried US Genweb? Go to that site then into
        the archives located on the right hand side of the
        screen or try the RI counties. But I would try a
        general search first if you don't know the county.
        Also, do you have a local Family History
        Center?

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • jonczar@copper.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
          Donna
          i find nothing on Ancestry to match that name. I also checked several other sources including Family Search and World Vital Records without anything.
          The name is a vast one stretching from France, Austria to the USA due to the Minister who preached and spread the Protestant word throughout these areas.
          Many of this name came to TX.
          I'd like to be more help, but can't do more for now.
          Jon

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
            Thanks Dianne. I've gotten a good handle on it now. I've been using the 3-day free on ancestry.com. I'll be subscribing when the 3 days are over. I'm hopelessly hooked on genealogy. Been doing it for 3 days now and researching about 5 lines. LOL

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
              I'm still looking too... thanks for your help!!

              Does anyone know of any place other than public libraries, either
              online or otherwise that allows free access to the "premium"
              information on ancestry.com? Unfortunately, in Josephine and Jackson
              Counties, Oregon, all libraries have been close due (so "they" say) to
              lack of funding. I'd really like to find more information on my
              maternal grandmother. Her name is Marion Brochu, maiden name,
              Messier, and was born on 2/22/1894.

              Thanks!!

              Donna

            • Tammy Jernigan
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                Donna,
                Hi this Tammy. Did you recieve my e-mail about your family being Canada/French. Marion's Father was August Messier and her mother was Marilda. Marion full name was Marianna and in the 1900 census they were in Rhode Island.her is a copy of the census.
                1900 census
                Name: August Messier Home in 1900: Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island Age: 37 Estimated birth year: abt 1863 Birthplace: Canada French Relationship to head-of-house: Head Spouse's name: Marilda Race: White Occupation: View image Immigration Year: 1870 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age August Messier 37 Marilda Messier 35 Mary Messier 15 Rorabla Messier 11 Marcianna Messier 6 Arthur Messier 5 Charles A Messier 3 Francos Messier 2 Eustache A Messier 1---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                1910 census
                Name: August Messier Jr.
                [August Sr Messier Jr.] Age in 1910: 46 Estimated birth year: abt 1864 Birthplace: Canada French Relation to Head of House: Head Father's Birth Place: Canada French Mother's Birth Place: Canada French Spouse's name: Matilda Home in 1910: Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island Marital Status: Married Race: White Gender: Male Year of Immigration: 1872 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age August Messier Jr. 46 Matilda Messier 44 Rosalba Messier 21 Marianne Messier 16 Arthur Messier 14 Charles A Messier 13 Francois E Messier
                12 Eastack Messier 11 Andrew Messier 9 Eva Messier 8 Dora Messier 6 Philip Messier 3 Marianna J Messier 1/12---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Now if you notice her and hubby are living in same area and on the census it saids her parents were Canada/French.Plus she named one of her children August.

                1930 census
                Name: Marion Brochu Home in 1930: Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island Age: AgeWith12ths('36',false);36 Estimated birth year: abt 1894 Relation to Head of House: Wife Spouse's name: Romeo Occupation:

                Education:

                Military Service:

                Rent/home value:

                Age at first marriage:

                Parents' birthplace:

                View image

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                  Yes, I got that info.... sorry, thought I had responded. I have the Brochu Family tree under control. I've been also working on a Charette, my father's tree, Rhodes, my children's father's tree, and Roberts, my current husbands tree. I've been a busy girl!!! lol

                  I have a few questions. First, I've only been able to get to my children's great grandfather, J William Rhodes, born about 1878 in Alabama. I could only find him on the 1930 census. I checked all the census' from 1880 - 1930... nothing. At least I was able to get his wife and children!! I wasn't able to find another thing about him. My children's grandfather was Ted Rhodes. I was able to find birthdate and death date, and several marriages and divorces... The other question I have is, did they a census in 1940? Also, i found the 1960 census, but I can't seem to find anything other than statistics. Do they no longer give names in the census? If so, what part of the census should I download?

                  Thanks again for all the help everyone has given me!!

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007
                    Just a thought about subscribing to Ancesty - I saw the Family Tree Maker's deluxe version (I think it was the deluxe version - they had them all) on Amazon for about $50. It comes with a one year free subscription to the WHOLE ancestry site - including overseas. A few of the other versions had 3 month or 6 month free subscriptions, but that is a great deal- even if you don't want to use the software!!

                    Kathy
                    Genealogists never die, they just lose their census.
                  • Clark & Rita Pederson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 8, 2007
                      Donna: The US does a census every 10 years, including 1940, 1950, 1960
                      etc. however, the information is not released until the data is 72 years
                      old for privacy reasons. So the last release was the 1930 census. It
                      will be 2012 before the 1940 census is released. Prior to that only
                      general statistically information is available.

                      Clark

                      Oregon

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 9, 2007
                        Thanks Clark.... someone just told me that... i didn't know!!

                        Donna

                        Oregon

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 9, 2007
                          I was able to find birthdate and death date, and several marriages and
                          divorces... The other question I have is, did they a census in 1940?
                          Also, i found the 1960 census, but I can't seem to find anything other
                          than statistics. Do they no longer give names in the census? If so,
                          what part of the census should I download?

                          > Thanks again for all the help everyone has given me!!
                          >
                          > Donna
                          >

                          > There has been a census every ten years, but they are not released
                          for I believe about 70 years. I cannot recall exactly but I think the
                          1940 census will be released about 2014. You can get statistics but not
                          actual names. This is done for privacy.

                          Lisa