Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Ancestry.com

  • Tammy Jernigan
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
      Hi Donna,
      Did some digging for uou and could not find alot of Messiers in Oregon except in the 1920 and they came from New York.
      1920 census
      Name: Ida M Menzies
      [Ida M Messier] Home in 1920: Portland, Multnomah, Oregon Age: AgeWith12ths('55',true);55 years Estimated birth year: abt 1865 Birthplace: Idaho
      [Iowa] Relation to Head of House: Head Father's Birth Place: New York Mother's Birth Place: Ohio Marital Status: Widow Race: White Sex: Female Home owned: Own Able to read: Yes Able to Write: Yes Image: 603 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Ida M Menzies 55 Ida Menzies 30 George E Englehart 51 Marjorie Englehart 19 James B Englehart 16___________________________________________________________________

      1930 census Rhode Island
      Name: Marion Brochu Home in 1930: Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island Age: AgeWith12ths('36',false);36 Estimated birth year: abt 1894 Relation to Head of House: Wife Spouse's name: Romeo Occupation:

      Education:

      Military Service:

      Rent/home value:

      Age at first marriage:

      Parents' birthplace:

      View image
      Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Romeo Brochu 37 Marion Brochu 36 Theresa Brochu 14 Armand Brochu 13 Antoinette Brochu 10 Raymond Brochu 88 Agustus Brochu 3 Rita Brochu 1 8/12___________________________________________________________________

      death index
      Name: Marion Brochu SSN: 038-01-4824 Last Residence: 02885 Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island, United States of America Born: 22 Feb 1894 Died: Mar 1967 State (Year) SSN issued: Rhode Island (Before 1951 )__________________________________________________________________

      1900 census Rhode Island
      Name: Marcianna Messier Home in 1900: Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island Age: 6 Estimated birth year: abt 1894 Birthplace: Rhode Island Relationship to head-of-house: Daughter Father's name: August Mother's name: Marilda Race: White Occupation: View image Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age August Messier 37 Marilda Messier 35 Mary Messier 15 Rorabla Messier 11 Marcianna Messier 6 Arthur Messier 5 Charles A Messier 3 Francos Messier 2 Eustache A Messier 1___________________________________________________________________
      I think she must have shorten her name but I feel real sure her this her and her family. Her real name was Marcianna Messier and she was born in Rhode Island. Her father and mother were Canada/French born, as was her her husband Romeo Brochu.
      I can try to go back further if you would like just let me know.

      Happy Hunting Oh by the way iam a descendant of the Messers. Were Irish/scotts

    • laurashaggarty
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Donna Roberts"
        <jst2swt4@...> wrote:
        I'd really like to find more information on my
        > maternal grandmother. Her name is Marion Brochu, maiden name,
        > Messier, and was born on 2/22/1894.

        Knowing *where* a person was born, or lived, makes it much easier to
        find info on ancestry.com. That being said, I found these direct hits
        right off the bat (nothing under the maiden name that hit):

        1930 United States Federal Census
        about Marion Brochu
        Name: Marion Brochu
        Home in 1930: Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island
        Age: 36
        Estimated birth year: abt 1894
        Relation to Head of House: Wife
        Spouse's name: Romeo
        Neighbors: View others on page
        Household Members:
        Name Age
        Romeo Brochu 37
        Marion Brochu 36
        Theresa Brochu 14
        Armand Brochu 13
        Antoinette Brochu 10
        Raymond Brochu 88
        Agustus Brochu 3
        Rita Brochu 1 8/12

        SS Death Index:
        Name: Marion Brochu
        Last Residence: 02885 Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island, United States
        of America
        Born: 22 Feb 1894
        Died: Mar 1967

        Hope that helps.

        Laura Haggarty
        www.pathfindersfarm.com
      • laurashaggarty
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
          <jst2swt4@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know of any place other than public libraries, either
          > online or otherwise that allows free access to the "premium"
          > information on ancestry.com?

          While it is possible to get a free account on ancestry.com, you cannot
          access their premium info with one. I use the free accounts when I've
          made a tree for someone else, then I "invite" them to my tree and they
          can see the info I've made, and depending on how I set up their
          invite, can add to it, or just view it. They can't do the actual
          research though, I have to do that (I coughed up the big hairball for
          the subscription, so I can see the good stuff.)

          Let me know if I should post the workaround for free accounts.

          Laura Haggarty
          www.pathfindersfarm.com
        • Donna Roberts
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
            I have a handle on my grandmother now. Ancestry.com had a free 3-day premium trial that i'm using. amazing how much info is on there!!!

            thanks for everyone's help!!

            I'd really like to find more information on my
            > maternal grandmother. Her name is Marion Brochu, maiden name,
            > Messier, and was born on 2/22/1894.

            Knowing *where* a person was born, or lived, makes it much easier to
            find info on ancestry.com. That being said, I found these direct hits
            right off the bat (nothing under the maiden name that hit):

            1930 United States Federal Census
            about Marion Brochu
            Name: Marion Brochu
            Home in 1930: Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island
            Age: 36
            Estimated birth year: abt 1894
            Relation to Head of House: Wife
            Spouse's name: Romeo
            Neighbors: View others on page
            Household Members:
            Name Age
            Romeo Brochu 37
            Marion Brochu 36
            Theresa Brochu 14
            Armand Brochu 13
            Antoinette Brochu 10
            Raymond Brochu 88
            Agustus Brochu 3
            Rita Brochu 1 8/12

            SS Death Index:
            Name: Marion Brochu
            Last Residence: 02885 Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island, United States
            of America
            Born: 22 Feb 1894
            Died: Mar 1967

            Hope that helps.

            Laura Haggarty
            www.pathfindersfarm.com

          • Dianne Planeta
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
              Have you tried US Genweb? Go to that site then into
              the archives located on the right hand side of the
              screen or try the RI counties. But I would try a
              general search first if you don't know the county.
              Also, do you have a local Family History
              Center?

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • jonczar@copper.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                Donna
                i find nothing on Ancestry to match that name. I also checked several other sources including Family Search and World Vital Records without anything.
                The name is a vast one stretching from France, Austria to the USA due to the Minister who preached and spread the Protestant word throughout these areas.
                Many of this name came to TX.
                I'd like to be more help, but can't do more for now.
                Jon

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                  Thanks Dianne. I've gotten a good handle on it now. I've been using the 3-day free on ancestry.com. I'll be subscribing when the 3 days are over. I'm hopelessly hooked on genealogy. Been doing it for 3 days now and researching about 5 lines. LOL

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                    I'm still looking too... thanks for your help!!

                    Does anyone know of any place other than public libraries, either
                    online or otherwise that allows free access to the "premium"
                    information on ancestry.com? Unfortunately, in Josephine and Jackson
                    Counties, Oregon, all libraries have been close due (so "they" say) to
                    lack of funding. I'd really like to find more information on my
                    maternal grandmother. Her name is Marion Brochu, maiden name,
                    Messier, and was born on 2/22/1894.

                    Thanks!!

                    Donna

                  • Tammy Jernigan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                      Donna,
                      Hi this Tammy. Did you recieve my e-mail about your family being Canada/French. Marion's Father was August Messier and her mother was Marilda. Marion full name was Marianna and in the 1900 census they were in Rhode Island.her is a copy of the census.
                      1900 census
                      Name: August Messier Home in 1900: Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island Age: 37 Estimated birth year: abt 1863 Birthplace: Canada French Relationship to head-of-house: Head Spouse's name: Marilda Race: White Occupation: View image Immigration Year: 1870 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age August Messier 37 Marilda Messier 35 Mary Messier 15 Rorabla Messier 11 Marcianna Messier 6 Arthur Messier 5 Charles A Messier 3 Francos Messier 2 Eustache A Messier 1---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      1910 census
                      Name: August Messier Jr.
                      [August Sr Messier Jr.] Age in 1910: 46 Estimated birth year: abt 1864 Birthplace: Canada French Relation to Head of House: Head Father's Birth Place: Canada French Mother's Birth Place: Canada French Spouse's name: Matilda Home in 1910: Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island Marital Status: Married Race: White Gender: Male Year of Immigration: 1872 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age August Messier Jr. 46 Matilda Messier 44 Rosalba Messier 21 Marianne Messier 16 Arthur Messier 14 Charles A Messier 13 Francois E Messier
                      12 Eastack Messier 11 Andrew Messier 9 Eva Messier 8 Dora Messier 6 Philip Messier 3 Marianna J Messier 1/12---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Now if you notice her and hubby are living in same area and on the census it saids her parents were Canada/French.Plus she named one of her children August.

                      1930 census

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                        Yes, I got that info.... sorry, thought I had responded. I have the Brochu Family tree under control. I've been also working on a Charette, my father's tree, Rhodes, my children's father's tree, and Roberts, my current husbands tree. I've been a busy girl!!! lol

                        I have a few questions. First, I've only been able to get to my children's great grandfather, J William Rhodes, born about 1878 in Alabama. I could only find him on the 1930 census. I checked all the census' from 1880 - 1930... nothing. At least I was able to get his wife and children!! I wasn't able to find another thing about him. My children's grandfather was Ted Rhodes. I was able to find birthdate and death date, and several marriages and divorces... The other question I have is, did they a census in 1940? Also, i found the 1960 census, but I can't seem to find anything other than statistics. Do they no longer give names in the census? If so, what part of the census should I download?

                        Thanks again for all the help everyone has given me!!

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007
                          Just a thought about subscribing to Ancesty - I saw the Family Tree Maker's deluxe version (I think it was the deluxe version - they had them all) on Amazon for about $50. It comes with a one year free subscription to the WHOLE ancestry site - including overseas. A few of the other versions had 3 month or 6 month free subscriptions, but that is a great deal- even if you don't want to use the software!!

                          Kathy
                          Genealogists never die, they just lose their census.
                        • Clark & Rita Pederson
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 8, 2007
                            Donna: The US does a census every 10 years, including 1940, 1950, 1960
                            etc. however, the information is not released until the data is 72 years
                            old for privacy reasons. So the last release was the 1930 census. It
                            will be 2012 before the 1940 census is released. Prior to that only
                            general statistically information is available.

                            Clark

                            Oregon

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 9, 2007
                              Thanks Clark.... someone just told me that... i didn't know!!

                              Donna

                              Oregon

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 9, 2007
                                I was able to find birthdate and death date, and several marriages and
                                divorces... The other question I have is, did they a census in 1940?
                                Also, i found the 1960 census, but I can't seem to find anything other
                                than statistics. Do they no longer give names in the census? If so,
                                what part of the census should I download?

                                > Thanks again for all the help everyone has given me!!
                                >
                                > Donna
                                >

                                > There has been a census every ten years, but they are not released
                                for I believe about 70 years. I cannot recall exactly but I think the
                                1940 census will be released about 2014. You can get statistics but not
                                actual names. This is done for privacy.

                                Lisa