Ancestry.com

  • Donna Roberts
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 3, 2007
      Does anyone know of any place other than public libraries, either
      online or otherwise that allows free access to the "premium"
      information on ancestry.com? Unfortunately, in Josephine and Jackson
      Counties, Oregon, all libraries have been close due (so "they" say) to
      lack of funding. I'd really like to find more information on my
      maternal grandmother. Her name is Marion Brochu, maiden name,
      Messier, and was born on 2/22/1894.

      Thanks!!

      Donna
    • Tammy Jernigan
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
        Hi Donna,
        Did some digging for uou and could not find alot of Messiers in Oregon except in the 1920 and they came from New York.
        1920 census
        Name: Ida M Menzies
        [Ida M Messier] Home in 1920: Portland, Multnomah, Oregon Age: AgeWith12ths('55',true);55 years Estimated birth year: abt 1865 Birthplace: Idaho
        [Iowa] Relation to Head of House: Head Father's Birth Place: New York Mother's Birth Place: Ohio Marital Status: Widow Race: White Sex: Female Home owned: Own Able to read: Yes Able to Write: Yes Image: 603 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Ida M Menzies 55 Ida Menzies 30 George E Englehart 51 Marjorie Englehart 19 James B Englehart 16___________________________________________________________________

        1930 census Rhode Island
        Name: Marion Brochu Home in 1930: Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island Age: AgeWith12ths('36',false);36 Estimated birth year: abt 1894 Relation to Head of House: Wife Spouse's name: Romeo Occupation:

        Education:

        Military Service:

        Rent/home value:

        Age at first marriage:

        Parents' birthplace:

        View image
        Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Romeo Brochu 37 Marion Brochu 36 Theresa Brochu 14 Armand Brochu 13 Antoinette Brochu 10 Raymond Brochu 88 Agustus Brochu 3 Rita Brochu 1 8/12___________________________________________________________________

        death index
        Name: Marion Brochu SSN: 038-01-4824 Last Residence: 02885 Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island, United States of America Born: 22 Feb 1894 Died: Mar 1967 State (Year) SSN issued: Rhode Island (Before 1951 )__________________________________________________________________

        1900 census Rhode Island
        Name: Marcianna Messier Home in 1900: Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island Age: 6 Estimated birth year: abt 1894 Birthplace: Rhode Island Relationship to head-of-house: Daughter Father's name: August Mother's name: Marilda Race: White Occupation: View image Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age August Messier 37 Marilda Messier 35 Mary Messier 15 Rorabla Messier 11 Marcianna Messier 6 Arthur Messier 5 Charles A Messier 3 Francos Messier 2 Eustache A Messier 1___________________________________________________________________
        I think she must have shorten her name but I feel real sure her this her and her family. Her real name was Marcianna Messier and she was born in Rhode Island. Her father and mother were Canada/French born, as was her her husband Romeo Brochu.
        I can try to go back further if you would like just let me know.

        Happy Hunting Oh by the way iam a descendant of the Messers. Were Irish/scotts

      • laurashaggarty
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Donna Roberts"
          <jst2swt4@...> wrote:
          I'd really like to find more information on my
          > maternal grandmother. Her name is Marion Brochu, maiden name,
          > Messier, and was born on 2/22/1894.

          Knowing *where* a person was born, or lived, makes it much easier to
          find info on ancestry.com. That being said, I found these direct hits
          right off the bat (nothing under the maiden name that hit):

          1930 United States Federal Census
          about Marion Brochu
          Name: Marion Brochu
          Home in 1930: Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island
          Age: 36
          Estimated birth year: abt 1894
          Relation to Head of House: Wife
          Spouse's name: Romeo
          Neighbors: View others on page
          Household Members:
          Name Age
          Romeo Brochu 37
          Marion Brochu 36
          Theresa Brochu 14
          Armand Brochu 13
          Antoinette Brochu 10
          Raymond Brochu 88
          Agustus Brochu 3
          Rita Brochu 1 8/12

          SS Death Index:
          Name: Marion Brochu
          Last Residence: 02885 Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island, United States
          of America
          Born: 22 Feb 1894
          Died: Mar 1967

          Hope that helps.

          Laura Haggarty
          www.pathfindersfarm.com
        • laurashaggarty
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
            <jst2swt4@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone know of any place other than public libraries, either
            > online or otherwise that allows free access to the "premium"
            > information on ancestry.com?

            While it is possible to get a free account on ancestry.com, you cannot
            access their premium info with one. I use the free accounts when I've
            made a tree for someone else, then I "invite" them to my tree and they
            can see the info I've made, and depending on how I set up their
            invite, can add to it, or just view it. They can't do the actual
            research though, I have to do that (I coughed up the big hairball for
            the subscription, so I can see the good stuff.)

            Let me know if I should post the workaround for free accounts.

            Laura Haggarty
            www.pathfindersfarm.com
          • Donna Roberts
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
              I have a handle on my grandmother now. Ancestry.com had a free 3-day premium trial that i'm using. amazing how much info is on there!!!

              thanks for everyone's help!!

              I'd really like to find more information on my
              > maternal grandmother. Her name is Marion Brochu, maiden name,
              > Messier, and was born on 2/22/1894.

              Knowing *where* a person was born, or lived, makes it much easier to
              find info on ancestry.com. That being said, I found these direct hits
              right off the bat (nothing under the maiden name that hit):

              1930 United States Federal Census
              about Marion Brochu
              Name: Marion Brochu
              Home in 1930: Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island
              Age: 36
              Estimated birth year: abt 1894
              Relation to Head of House: Wife
              Spouse's name: Romeo
              Neighbors: View others on page
              Household Members:
              Name Age
              Romeo Brochu 37
              Marion Brochu 36
              Theresa Brochu 14
              Armand Brochu 13
              Antoinette Brochu 10
              Raymond Brochu 88
              Agustus Brochu 3
              Rita Brochu 1 8/12

              SS Death Index:
              Name: Marion Brochu
              Last Residence: 02885 Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island, United States
              of America
              Born: 22 Feb 1894
              Died: Mar 1967

              Hope that helps.

              Laura Haggarty
              www.pathfindersfarm.com

            • Dianne Planeta
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
                Have you tried US Genweb? Go to that site then into
                the archives located on the right hand side of the
                screen or try the RI counties. But I would try a
                general search first if you don't know the county.
                Also, do you have a local Family History
                Center?

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • jonczar@copper.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                  Donna
                  i find nothing on Ancestry to match that name. I also checked several other sources including Family Search and World Vital Records without anything.
                  The name is a vast one stretching from France, Austria to the USA due to the Minister who preached and spread the Protestant word throughout these areas.
                  Many of this name came to TX.
                  I'd like to be more help, but can't do more for now.
                  Jon

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                    Thanks Dianne. I've gotten a good handle on it now. I've been using the 3-day free on ancestry.com. I'll be subscribing when the 3 days are over. I'm hopelessly hooked on genealogy. Been doing it for 3 days now and researching about 5 lines. LOL

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                      I'm still looking too... thanks for your help!!

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                        Donna,
                        Hi this Tammy. Did you recieve my e-mail about your family being Canada/French. Marion's Father was August Messier and her mother was Marilda. Marion full name was Marianna and in the 1900 census they were in Rhode Island.her is a copy of the census.
                        1900 census
                        Name: August Messier Home in 1900: Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island Age: 37 Estimated birth year: abt 1863 Birthplace: Canada French Relationship to head-of-house: Head Spouse's name: Marilda Race: White Occupation: View image Immigration Year: 1870 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age August Messier 37 Marilda Messier 35 Mary Messier 15 Rorabla Messier 11 Marcianna Messier 6 Arthur Messier 5 Charles A Messier 3 Francos Messier 2 Eustache A Messier 1---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        1910 census
                        Name: August Messier Jr.
                        [August Sr Messier Jr.] Age in 1910: 46 Estimated birth year: abt 1864 Birthplace: Canada French Relation to Head of House: Head Father's Birth Place: Canada French Mother's Birth Place: Canada French Spouse's name: Matilda Home in 1910: Warren, Bristol, Rhode Island Marital Status: Married Race: White Gender: Male Year of Immigration: 1872 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age August Messier Jr. 46 Matilda Messier 44 Rosalba Messier 21 Marianne Messier 16 Arthur Messier 14 Charles A Messier 13 Francois E Messier
                        12 Eastack Messier 11 Andrew Messier 9 Eva Messier 8 Dora Messier 6 Philip Messier 3 Marianna J Messier 1/12---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Now if you notice her and hubby are living in same area and on the census it saids her parents were Canada/French.Plus she named one of her children August.

                        1930 census

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                          Yes, I got that info.... sorry, thought I had responded. I have the Brochu Family tree under control. I've been also working on a Charette, my father's tree, Rhodes, my children's father's tree, and Roberts, my current husbands tree. I've been a busy girl!!! lol

                          I have a few questions. First, I've only been able to get to my children's great grandfather, J William Rhodes, born about 1878 in Alabama. I could only find him on the 1930 census. I checked all the census' from 1880 - 1930... nothing. At least I was able to get his wife and children!! I wasn't able to find another thing about him. My children's grandfather was Ted Rhodes. I was able to find birthdate and death date, and several marriages and divorces... The other question I have is, did they a census in 1940? Also, i found the 1960 census, but I can't seem to find anything other than statistics. Do they no longer give names in the census? If so, what part of the census should I download?

                          Thanks again for all the help everyone has given me!!

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007
                            Just a thought about subscribing to Ancesty - I saw the Family Tree Maker's deluxe version (I think it was the deluxe version - they had them all) on Amazon for about $50. It comes with a one year free subscription to the WHOLE ancestry site - including overseas. A few of the other versions had 3 month or 6 month free subscriptions, but that is a great deal- even if you don't want to use the software!!

                            Kathy
                            Genealogists never die, they just lose their census.
                          • Clark & Rita Pederson
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 8, 2007
                              Donna: The US does a census every 10 years, including 1940, 1950, 1960
                              etc. however, the information is not released until the data is 72 years
                              old for privacy reasons. So the last release was the 1930 census. It
                              will be 2012 before the 1940 census is released. Prior to that only
                              general statistically information is available.

                              Clark

                              Oregon

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 9, 2007
                                Thanks Clark.... someone just told me that... i didn't know!!

                                Donna

                                Oregon

                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 9, 2007
                                  I was able to find birthdate and death date, and several marriages and
                                  divorces... The other question I have is, did they a census in 1940?
                                  Also, i found the 1960 census, but I can't seem to find anything other
                                  than statistics. Do they no longer give names in the census? If so,
                                  what part of the census should I download?

                                  > Thanks again for all the help everyone has given me!!
                                  >
                                  > Donna
                                  >

                                  > There has been a census every ten years, but they are not released
                                  for I believe about 70 years. I cannot recall exactly but I think the
                                  1940 census will be released about 2014. You can get statistics but not
                                  actual names. This is done for privacy.

                                  Lisa