how to take my tree from ancestry

  • tetreaultlaura
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 19, 2007
      I am going to lose my tree at Ancestry because I cannot afford to pay
      $150 for another year. Is there any way I can take my tree with me? I
      don't know how to download. Any help would be appreciated. I have 3
      weeks left.
    • Ruby
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 20, 2007
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "tetreaultlaura"
        <tetreaultlaura@...> wrote:

        > I am going to lose my tree at Ancestry because I cannot afford to
        pay
        > $150 for another year. Is there any way I can take my tree with
        me? I
        > don't know how to download. Any help would be appreciated. I
        have 3
        > weeks left.

        Hi
        You can do things to keep your tree. If you have you have a
        diskette to go into your pc put it in and go to your site. Follow
        the directions and down load your gedcom file. You do have one
        because ancestry made it when you added your information to
        ancestry. When it says save it to disk you click save it and it
        will put your tree on the disk. Now you have a gedcome file on the
        disk. When you find another program you want to go to, they will ask
        for your gedcome file so insert into the pc and follow directions to
        upload. I am also going to add here a story which happened to me. I
        got a Ancestry account and started my tree about 15 years ago. When
        I go past 500 people in it ancestry took my information and created
        their own cd and put it on their web for sale, and also moved my
        work to their pay for sites and then charged everyone to see my
        work. When I found this out I removed my info, because look at the
        people who cannot afford ancestry , they could have seen my work for
        free and now alot cannot.
        Ruby
      • mg
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 20, 2007
          I can't help you other than to say print everything out that you can. Also can you email things to yourself or others for safekeeping? But I just bought a family tree maker 16 at Amazon.com for about $26 and it inclues a full year of ancestry.com...good luck.

          tetreaultlaura <tetreaultlaura@...> wrote: I am going to lose my tree at Ancestry because I cannot afford to pay
          $150 for another year. Is there any way I can take my tree with me? I
          don't know how to download. Any help would be appreciated. I have 3
          weeks left.

        • Dianne Planeta
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 21, 2007
            This why I do not put my info on their site. If
            someone wants info I will not charge for it or let
            them (Ancestry)profit from my work.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • huddlestonsnk
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 21, 2007
              I use Ancestry.com to get information about my family but I use a free
              family tree program that I have downloaded to my PC. The software is
              Legacy and the website is http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/. Once you
              have downloaded your gedcom file import it into this program. You can
              also upgrade and purchase the program if you want to.

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Dianne Planeta
              <littledi1030@...> wrote:

              > This why I do not put my info on their site. If
              > someone wants info I will not charge for it or let
              > them (Ancestry)profit from my work.

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Catherine Lamb
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 21, 2007
                After you make a gedcom of your tree off ancestry -
                you can make your tree at home with Personal Ancestral
                File - which is a free download at
                www.familysearch.org.

                Catherine

                http://mail.yahoo.com