Re: Name confusion

  • glen
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
      In Liverpool
      delilah was "Lily"
      Margaret was "peggy"
      Mary was "Molly"
      Veronica was "Ve" or Vera or "Ronnie"
      Elizabeth was "Lizzie" "Betty" "Bessie" "Beth"

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "ewema99" <ewema99@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi - does anybody know of a list of common nicknames during the 1800?
      > (and earlier)
      > For example - I know Mary is Polly a lot. Who would even imagine
      that?
      > I know Delilah also has a very common nickname, but I can't remember
      > what it is. I'm wondering how many names had very common "odd"
      > nicknames.
      >
      > Anybody know more about this?
      > Thanks
      > Catherine

    • Margie
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
        Does anyone know what Dibby is the nickname of?? Also, am I right in
        assuming that Molly also was used as a nickname of Margaret or was it
        always Mary?

        Margie

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "glen" <glenfagan@...>
        wrote:
        > In Liverpool
        > delilah was "Lily"
        > Margaret was "peggy"
        > Mary was "Molly"
        > Veronica was "Ve" or Vera or "Ronnie"
        > Elizabeth was "Lizzie" "Betty" "Bessie" "Beth"
        >
        > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "ewema99" <ewema99@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi - does anybody know of a list of common nicknames during the 1800?
        > > (and earlier)
        > > For example - I know Mary is Polly a lot. Who would even imagine
        > that?
        > > I know Delilah also has a very common nickname, but I can't remember
        > > what it is. I'm wondering how many names had very common "odd"
        > > nicknames.
        > >
        > > Anybody know more about this?
        > > Thanks
        > > Catherine

      • Kathy P
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
          Here is a list of common nicknames

          http://www.tngenweb.org/franklin/frannick.htm

          Kathy
          Genealogists never die, they just lose their census.

        • mg
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
            I am guessing that perhaps Dibby was a variant of Darby, which someone explained to me was D'Arby originally I think....lots of
            Darbys in Dingle area..French influence I presume..lots of Maurice to. I think Margaret means pearl in Latin?? and Peggy means pearl in Gaelic, or something like Peggy. mg

            Does anyone know what Dibby is the nickname of?? Also, am I right in
            assuming that Molly also was used as a nickname of Margaret or was it
            always Mary?
            - I know Mary is Polly a lot. Who would even imagine
            > | Links | Database | Polls | Members
            Recent Activity
            8New Members
            Visit Your Group