Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Intro--Newbie

  • Kate
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2007
      Hi Debbie-
      Welcome! What info do you have already? And where have you searched so far. If you like, you can post a couple of your brickwalls and maybe we can help. Names, dates, places, anything you know already-

      Kate

      Debbie <crazy_crafter_59002000@...> wrote: Hi everyone!! My name is Debbie & I'm very new to this. I want to
      research my father side of the family. If I can get some help on how to
      get started--that would be great. The name in question is (ACKLEY). We
      are from PA. Any help will be greatly appriciated.

    • stricklandlauriemi
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
        Hi Debbie,
        First thing that might be helpful for you is to head to your nearest
        public library and do a catalog search on genealogy. There are some
        very helpful books out there and some will have forms you can copy to
        record your research in. Also check the videos they rent for any on
        genealogy. I was able to check out a PBS series that was great to
        watch.
        Good luck and enjoy it. Laurie

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie"
        <crazy_crafter_59002000@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone!! My name is Debbie & I'm very new to this. I want to
        > research my father side of the family. If I can get some help on how
        > get started--that would be great. The name in question is (ACKLEY).
        We
        > are from PA. Any help will be greatly appriciated.

      • Catherine Lamb
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
          Thanks for group for answering my questions...still
          interested in nicknames if you know more.

          Also - Debbie - welcome. I am new too - this group is
          very helpful! I will email you my ideas of how to get
          started.

          Catherine

          http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658
        • Connie Mazerov
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 10, 2007
            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Catherine Lamb
            <ewema99@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for group for answering my questions...still
            > interested in nicknames if you know more.
            >
            > Also - Debbie - welcome. I am new too - this group is
            > very helpful! I will email you my ideas of how to get
            > started.
            >
            > Catherine

            Catherine,
            Try this website at the Connecticut State Library which has some
            nicknames from the 1800 and 1900's

            www.cslib.org/nickname

            Connie
          • Peakcat@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 10, 2007
              Debbie:

              In regard to finding the information you are looking for on your family,
              have you also tried talking to any living relatives, aunts, uncles, cousins, who
              might have knowledge of your father's side of the family or even pictures
              that have a story that goes with them?

              Good luck and happy hunting.

              Ina Getzoff
              _Peakcat@..._ (mailto:Peakcat@...)