Intro--Newbie

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2007
      Hi everyone!! My name is Debbie & I'm very new to this. I want to
      research my father side of the family. If I can get some help on how to
      get started--that would be great. The name in question is (ACKLEY). We
      are from PA. Any help will be greatly appriciated.
    • Kate
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2007
        Hi Debbie-
        Welcome! What info do you have already? And where have you searched so far. If you like, you can post a couple of your brickwalls and maybe we can help. Names, dates, places, anything you know already-

        Kate

        Debbie <crazy_crafter_59002000@...> wrote: Hi everyone!! My name is Debbie & I'm very new to this. I want to
        research my father side of the family. If I can get some help on how to
        get started--that would be great. The name in question is (ACKLEY). We
        are from PA. Any help will be greatly appriciated.

      • stricklandlauriemi
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
          Hi Debbie,
          First thing that might be helpful for you is to head to your nearest
          public library and do a catalog search on genealogy. There are some
          very helpful books out there and some will have forms you can copy to
          record your research in. Also check the videos they rent for any on
          genealogy. I was able to check out a PBS series that was great to
          watch.
          Good luck and enjoy it. Laurie

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie"
          <crazy_crafter_59002000@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone!! My name is Debbie & I'm very new to this. I want to
          > research my father side of the family. If I can get some help on how
          > get started--that would be great. The name in question is (ACKLEY).
          We
          > are from PA. Any help will be greatly appriciated.

        • Catherine Lamb
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
            Thanks for group for answering my questions...still
            interested in nicknames if you know more.

            Also - Debbie - welcome. I am new too - this group is
            very helpful! I will email you my ideas of how to get
            started.

            Catherine

            http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658
          • Connie Mazerov
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 10, 2007
              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Catherine Lamb
              <ewema99@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for group for answering my questions...still
              > interested in nicknames if you know more.
              >
              > Also - Debbie - welcome. I am new too - this group is
              > very helpful! I will email you my ideas of how to get
              > started.
              >
              > Catherine

              Catherine,
              Try this website at the Connecticut State Library which has some
              nicknames from the 1800 and 1900's

              www.cslib.org/nickname

              Connie
            • Peakcat@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 10, 2007
                Debbie:

                In regard to finding the information you are looking for on your family,
                have you also tried talking to any living relatives, aunts, uncles, cousins, who
                might have knowledge of your father's side of the family or even pictures
                that have a story that goes with them?

                Good luck and happy hunting.

                Ina Getzoff
                _Peakcat@..._ (mailto:Peakcat@...)