Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Name confusion

  • NANA22845@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2007
      Sarah-Sallie

    • glen
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
        In Liverpool
        delilah was "Lily"
        Margaret was "peggy"
        Mary was "Molly"
        Veronica was "Ve" or Vera or "Ronnie"
        Elizabeth was "Lizzie" "Betty" "Bessie" "Beth"

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "ewema99" <ewema99@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi - does anybody know of a list of common nicknames during the 1800?
        > (and earlier)
        > For example - I know Mary is Polly a lot. Who would even imagine
        that?
        > I know Delilah also has a very common nickname, but I can't remember
        > what it is. I'm wondering how many names had very common "odd"
        > nicknames.
        >
        > Anybody know more about this?
        > Thanks
        > Catherine

      • Margie
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
          Does anyone know what Dibby is the nickname of?? Also, am I right in
          assuming that Molly also was used as a nickname of Margaret or was it
          always Mary?

          Margie

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "glen" <glenfagan@...>
          wrote:
          > In Liverpool
          > delilah was "Lily"
          > Margaret was "peggy"
          > Mary was "Molly"
          > Veronica was "Ve" or Vera or "Ronnie"
          > Elizabeth was "Lizzie" "Betty" "Bessie" "Beth"
          >
          > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "ewema99" <ewema99@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi - does anybody know of a list of common nicknames during the 1800?
          > > (and earlier)
          > > For example - I know Mary is Polly a lot. Who would even imagine
          > that?
          > > I know Delilah also has a very common nickname, but I can't remember
          > > what it is. I'm wondering how many names had very common "odd"
          > > nicknames.
          > >
          > > Anybody know more about this?
          > > Thanks
          > > Catherine

        • Kathy P
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
            Here is a list of common nicknames

            http://www.tngenweb.org/franklin/frannick.htm

            Kathy
            Genealogists never die, they just lose their census.

          • mg
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
              I am guessing that perhaps Dibby was a variant of Darby, which someone explained to me was D'Arby originally I think....lots of
              Darbys in Dingle area..French influence I presume..lots of Maurice to. I think Margaret means pearl in Latin?? and Peggy means pearl in Gaelic, or something like Peggy. mg

              Does anyone know what Dibby is the nickname of?? Also, am I right in
              assuming that Molly also was used as a nickname of Margaret or was it
              always Mary?
              - I know Mary is Polly a lot. Who would even imagine
              > | Links | Database | Polls | Members
              Recent Activity
              8New Members
              Visit Your Group