Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Name variation searches

  • Topaz1954
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2007
      I kept looking for my husband's family on the 1880 census. I knew they should have been in Alabama at this time. I couldn't fine them, with the correct spelling. One letter was wrong in the spelling. When I searched for the variation, I found them.

    • Dianne Planeta
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2007
        Always look for varient spellings. Not all enumerators
        were that literate. I have found my KRONK name listed
        as KRUNK ,CRUNK, CRONK. My father in 1910 had an "E"
        in place of an "A" in his name. If you are having
        trouble finding a name if possible use soundex.
        Also, take into account that names were changed to
        assimilate into the country, ei. Mastrangelo became
        Masters or Mechling became Macklin and in the case of
        the above Kronk name is from Kranecht.

        http://tv.yahoo.com/