Name confusion

  • ewema99
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2007
      Hi - does anybody know of a list of common nicknames during the 1800?
      (and earlier)
      For example - I know Mary is Polly a lot. Who would even imagine that?
      I know Delilah also has a very common nickname, but I can't remember
      what it is. I'm wondering how many names had very common "odd"
      nicknames.

      Anybody know more about this?
      Thanks
      Catherine
    • NANA22845@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2007
        Sarah-Sallie

      • glen
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
          In Liverpool
          delilah was "Lily"
          Margaret was "peggy"
          Mary was "Molly"
          Veronica was "Ve" or Vera or "Ronnie"
          Elizabeth was "Lizzie" "Betty" "Bessie" "Beth"

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "ewema99" <ewema99@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi - does anybody know of a list of common nicknames during the 1800?
          > (and earlier)
          > For example - I know Mary is Polly a lot. Who would even imagine
          that?
          > I know Delilah also has a very common nickname, but I can't remember
          > what it is. I'm wondering how many names had very common "odd"
          > nicknames.
          >
          > Anybody know more about this?
          > Thanks
          > Catherine

        • Margie
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
            Does anyone know what Dibby is the nickname of?? Also, am I right in
            assuming that Molly also was used as a nickname of Margaret or was it
            always Mary?

            Margie

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "glen" <glenfagan@...>
            wrote:
            > In Liverpool
            > delilah was "Lily"
            > Margaret was "peggy"
            > Mary was "Molly"
            > Veronica was "Ve" or Vera or "Ronnie"
            > Elizabeth was "Lizzie" "Betty" "Bessie" "Beth"
            >
            > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "ewema99" <ewema99@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi - does anybody know of a list of common nicknames during the 1800?
            > > (and earlier)
            > > For example - I know Mary is Polly a lot. Who would even imagine
            > that?
            > > I know Delilah also has a very common nickname, but I can't remember
            > > what it is. I'm wondering how many names had very common "odd"
            > > nicknames.
            > >
            > > Anybody know more about this?
            > > Thanks
            > > Catherine

          • Kathy P
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
              Here is a list of common nicknames

              http://www.tngenweb.org/franklin/frannick.htm

              Kathy
              Genealogists never die, they just lose their census.

            • mg
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
                I am guessing that perhaps Dibby was a variant of Darby, which someone explained to me was D'Arby originally I think....lots of
                Darbys in Dingle area..French influence I presume..lots of Maurice to. I think Margaret means pearl in Latin?? and Peggy means pearl in Gaelic, or something like Peggy. mg

                Does anyone know what Dibby is the nickname of?? Also, am I right in
                assuming that Molly also was used as a nickname of Margaret or was it
                always Mary?
                - I know Mary is Polly a lot. Who would even imagine
                > | Links | Database | Polls | Members
                Recent Activity
                8New Members
                Visit Your Group