Name variation searches

  • ewema99
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2007
      Hi everybody - hope this isn't a "dumb" question. But I'm
      wondering...soembody told me we should always check variations of our
      name. Is that just if we don't find something in the correct spelling??
      When looking at census, if I find my surname spelled correctly (in the
      right place), I don't look for variations. Should I be?

      Thanks!
      Catherine
      Researching Gonter and Davis in Ohio and WV
    • Topaz1954
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2007
        I kept looking for my husband's family on the 1880 census. I knew they should have been in Alabama at this time. I couldn't fine them, with the correct spelling. One letter was wrong in the spelling. When I searched for the variation, I found them.

      • viola stephens

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 8, 2007
            Always look for varient spellings. Not all enumerators
            were that literate. I have found my KRONK name listed
            as KRUNK ,CRUNK, CRONK. My father in 1910 had an "E"
            in place of an "A" in his name. If you are having
            trouble finding a name if possible use soundex.
            Also, take into account that names were changed to
            assimilate into the country, ei. Mastrangelo became
            Masters or Mechling became Macklin and in the case of
            the above Kronk name is from Kranecht.

            http://tv.yahoo.com/