Re:Family Tree Maker

  • Dianne Planeta
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 15, 2007
      I have used FTM since it was a "share ware" product. I
      have tried various other programs and did not care for
      them. The upgrades fit seamlessly over the older versions.

    • Sharon
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 17, 2007
        Thank you, thank you. I'm going to print off your instructions and work on them as soon as I can. I am so excited!! What a thrill this will be. Thank you again.
        Sharon

        Message 3 of 13 , May 21, 2009
          If you use Family Tree Maker would you please answer a couple of question for me? Can you make more than one Family Tree on the same program?

          I want to start a tree of my husband's family separate from my family. I had some problems with my application a while back and thought I had lost all of my data, so I am fearful of doing anything very adventurous.

          Thanks to anyone that answers.
        • Clark
          Message 4 of 13 , May 22, 2009
            Helen: Yes you can have more than one family tree with your Family Tree
            Maker program. Give it a different name. The exact process varies by which
            version you have. When you go to open FTM it will usually open with the
            last tree you had open. Go to file on your menu bar to change to the other
            tree. If your current tree has both lines in it, before you start deleting
            one line be sure to save a back up copy of the whole tree under another name
            and then reopen the old one before you do any deleting. You don't want to
            have a mistake and lose your data! Good Luck.

            Clark

            _____

            If you use Family Tree Maker would you please answer a couple of question
            for me? Can you make more than one Family Tree on the same program?

            Thanks to anyone that answers.

          • Kat kief1255
            Message 5 of 13 , May 22, 2009
              In answer to your question, yes you can make several family trees using the same program. Just name them differently. You can also import certain individuals that you may have the pertains to your new family tree from an existing file using the merge/append feature.

              To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
              From: has_hotflashes2003@...
              Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 03:11:56 +0000

              If you use Family Tree Maker would you please answer a couple of question for me? Can you make more than one Family Tree on the same program?

              I want to start a tree of my husband's family separate from my family. I had some problems with my application a while back and thought I had lost all of my data, so I am fearful of doing anything very adventurous.

              Thanks to anyone that answers.

            • Forrest Plumstead
              Message 6 of 13 , May 22, 2009
                On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Clark <pedj@...> wrote:

                > Helen: Yes you can have more than one family tree with your Family Tree
                > Maker program. Give it a different name. The exact process varies by which
                > version you have. When you go to open FTM it will usually open with the
                > last tree you had open. Go to file on your menu bar to change to the other
                > tree. If your current tree has both lines in it, before you start deleting
                > one line be sure to save a back up copy of the whole tree under another
                > name
                > and then reopen the old one before you do any deleting. You don't want to
                > have a mistake and lose your data! Good Luck.
                >
                > Clark
                >
                > _____

                In the 2009 version it opens up to a tab called Current Tree. To the left is
                a tab called New Tree. Click on that one and start a new file.

                --
                Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
                PLUMSTEAD-L List master

              • Carolynn Brehmer
                Message 7 of 13 , May 22, 2009
                  Which version are you using? 2006, 2008 or 2009? I like 2006 the best.

                  If you use Family Tree Maker would you please answer a couple of question for me? Can you make more than one Family Tree on the same program?

                  I want to start a tree of my husband's family separate from my family. I had some problems with my application a while back and thought I had lost all of my data, so I am fearful of doing anything very adventurous.

                  Thanks to anyone that answers.

                • littledi1030
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 22, 2009
                    You aure can! Just go up to "File" and open a new tree. I have four different ones going. One is just for info that I do not yet have sources yet to prove a fact. Once I get the info I delete the individual and put the info in the real tree.

                  • jamesr23@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 22, 2009
                      You do not say what version that you use but if it is 2005 go to file after you open it to the current program in use. at file is adrop down box, click close. go back to file and click new. a new tree area will open up and then you can fill in the information you want. you can accesss either tree by oepning or closing in the same manner. If you use 2009 it open a little differently. I just bought it and I love it but don't know it as well as I do 2005.
                      Ann

                      Compete with the big boys. Click here to find products to benefit your business.
                      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTI97yzun9nOjVxTMM9TNxN8tQQqUn5YwrLwUttiwX78S21YWLxD6A/
                    • Jean
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 22, 2009
                        If you have the FTM 2009, click on "PLAN" then just click on the "New Tree" tab below and just start filling in the blanks with what you know. We (my husband and I) have about 12 different trees currently going in FTM, along with a single tree that contains everything to date.
                        I've separated the lines from our grandparents so that if we do get a connection, all we have to do is send the information specific to that line, rather than going to my "everything in one" tree as they usually do not want the extra branches that we have in there. Only what pertains to that particular line. <shrug> We've sent the entire tree to a few people who have requested it and they e-mail me back requesting that we only send the information on the 1 particular line so we figured that it would be easier to break them down at Grandparents level then just add the branch that ends with us, with a note attached saying that if they want/need the branches attached from us to our grandparents, then just need to ask, as most of our parents and their siblings, nieces and nephews are alive.

                        Jean

                        PS: Hope this helps and isn't too much rambling.