Anyone use Foonote.com?

  • Vicki
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2007
      I was thinking about subscribing to the Footnote.com site especially
      to get into Revolutionary War Pension files. I was curious if anyone
      has used it and what their experience has been. It looks like it has
      so much history on there that it would be very interesting to see
      things offered--not just the pension files!
    • mary g
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2007
        Hello..I am essentially just started out although I have found out a lot. I subscribe to one great family and ancestry.com. I find the message boards provide the most information..but then I lose it. I have found that ancestry.com message boards are too complicated for me to ever find my way back to.even int he same session...but genealogy.com works much better.

        I want to know what is the best program to use so that non-subscribers can share the information..and what is the best way to take care of miscellaneous bits of information that either you or someone else can use someday...I am making an Excel spreadsheet that seems to work.

        Can you make these Gedcom files on just miscellaneous people, entering what you have? I have some people I think I am related to, but I am not sure how.

        I also have limited time and energy and money, and want to avoid duplication of effort as much as possible. Thanks. mg

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 27, 2007
          Mary
          You mayalready have your answers, but I found no replies in my file.
          I personally use RootsMagic and for my use find it does the job for me. You mentioned a spread sheet. That is good for a listing, but transposing it to another genealogy software would be more typing.
          RootsMagic allows multiple databases. If you put your unconnected people in one, you could make a GEDCOM by using the select people feature of the GEDCOM. If your other database is also in RM you can put both databases on ther screen at once and drag and drop from one to the other without having to use a GEDCOM.
          I hope this helps and is not too late to keep you from having to do a lot of hard work.

          As to the relationship bit with these people, try the relationship calculator of most genealogy software programs and see what you come up with. You could be related to them or just their spouse's line.
          However going back on these lines of ? can find a common sometimes, but not showing up without entering the additional info.
          Jon Czarowitz