Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Documenting Cemeteries

  • barbara erickson
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2007
      Melanie, I'm going to check on the genealogical society on Warren and find out what they have to say. Thanks, Barb

      mel9711 <mel9711@...> wrote: Hi Barb!

      Digital pictures are great. I would also transcribe them right away
      while you are standing there just in case the information isn't
      perfectly clear on the photo. If it's hard to read you can try to do
      rubbings of the stone. I have done that with some pretty old stones
      to some success. We just used paper and crayons but I know you can
      use chalk or charcoal for that too. Maybe first thing to do is to
      contact the local historical or genealogical society to see if they
      are currently indexing or have already indexed the cemeteries. Then
      maybe you can contribute to their website or published index. Or if
      nothing else they can tell you if those cemeteries have been indexed
      or who to contact about that project at a state level.

      Hope that helps and good luck!!!
      Melanie

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, barbara erickson
      <berickson49@...> wrote:

      > Good day all,I live in Warren Pa. It is in the Northwest part of
      the state boarding with N.Y. I have driven by many old very small
      cemeteries that may have been forgotten by most people. What would I
      have to do to recorded the people buried there? I have a didgel
      camera that I could take pictures of the headstones, but what about
      the stones that cannot be read or headstones that are gone? I would
      like to be able to list these so the people are not forgotten.
      Information on this would be very helpful to me and to others who
      have the same question. Thanks, Barb