Documenting Cemeteries

  • barbara erickson
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2007
      Good day all,I live in Warren Pa. It is in the Northwest part of the state boarding with N.Y. I have driven by many old very small cemeteries that may have been forgotten by most people. What would I have to do to recorded the people buried there? I have a didgel camera that I could take pictures of the headstones, but what about the stones that cannot be read or headstones that are gone? I would like to be able to list these so the people are not forgotten. Information on this would be very helpful to me and to others who have the same question. Thanks, Barb

    • mel9711
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2007
        Hi Barb!

        Digital pictures are great. I would also transcribe them right away
        while you are standing there just in case the information isn't
        perfectly clear on the photo. If it's hard to read you can try to do
        rubbings of the stone. I have done that with some pretty old stones
        to some success. We just used paper and crayons but I know you can
        use chalk or charcoal for that too. Maybe first thing to do is to
        contact the local historical or genealogical society to see if they
        are currently indexing or have already indexed the cemeteries. Then
        maybe you can contribute to their website or published index. Or if
        nothing else they can tell you if those cemeteries have been indexed
        or who to contact about that project at a state level.

        Hope that helps and good luck!!!
        Melanie

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, barbara erickson

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2007
          Melanie, I'm going to check on the genealogical society on Warren and find out what they have to say. Thanks, Barb

          mel9711 <mel9711@...> wrote: Hi Barb!