Re: [Genealogy Research Club] My Surnames

  • viola stephens
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 2007
      We have a Noah Fisher in Ky. on our family list.He was my husbands grandfather.

      Chris sparks <cynthia_sparks2002@...> wrote: SURNAMES:
      SPARKS,CHILDERS, COGAR,KELLY,TAYLOR,ANDERSON,GILLIS,O'DELL,BOGGS,COLEMAN,
      ARBOGAST,OXIER,MORRIS,ROBINSON,MOORE,HAMILTON,SAMPLES,
      COOL,FISHER,KINGERY,NEWMAN,RIPPETOE,SIMS,MIDKIFF,MCMURDY,
      CLEMENTS/CLEMENS,HUNDLEY,ELLIS,WALTERS,

      TIMELINE: 1700-1900

      AREA::ENGLAND,IRELAND,HOLLAND,FRANCE,ITALY,GERMANY,
      MD,PA,VA,KY,OHIO,WVa,NJ,

    • kim_donley
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
        Ok here is 1860 census for Joseph Shepler in Vermillion Illinois
        although it says Smitha by ancestry when u look at the actual census
        it says Syntha which of course is common for Cynthia. Joseph is
        down as a farmer. Found other census 1870, 1880 etc..with a Joseph
        Shepler and a Rosanna? So if it is the same Joseph and he remarried
        there may be a chance that he and Cynthia George had 1 daughter
        named Samantha?? Samantha was 10 in 1870 and 18 in 1880. I believe
        Samantha is Cynthia and Joseph's child because there are other
        children in the house and they have Ky for the place where there
        mother was born and Samantha has Indiana. So it looks like this is
        the right Joseph. I will see what else i can find......KIM

        1860 United States Federal Census
        about Joseph Shepler
        Name: Joseph Shepler
        Age in 1860: 23
        Birth Year: abt 1837
        Birthplace: Indiana
        Home in 1860: Pilot, Vermillion, Illinois
        Gender: Male
        Post Office: Pilot
        Value of real estate: View image
        Household Members: Name Age
        Joseph Shepler 23
        Smitha Shepler 19

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Carol Dimer
        <thedimers@...> wrote:

        > I checked the Illinois marriage index and found a Cynthia E.
        George married Joseph M. Shepler on 11/24/1859 in Vermillion
        county. I tried the census records briefly and could only find a
        Joseph Shepler married to someone else in later years.

        > Carol in Orland Park IL
        >

        > "Life should NOT be a journey to
        > the grave with the intention of
        > arriving safely in an attractive
        > and well preserved body, but
        > rather to skid in sideways,
        > chocolate in one hand, wine in the
        > other, totally worn out and
        > screaming WOO HOO, what a ride!"
        >
        > Unknown

      • kim_donley
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
          OOOps...I forgot to say that here is the other marriage for Joseph
          Shepler. So after Cynthia died he did remarry...........KIM

          Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
          about Joseph M. Shepler
          Name: Joseph M. Shepler
          Gender: Male
          Spouse Name: Rosannah F. Shumate
          Marriage Date: May 19, 1868
          Marriage County: Vermilion
          Comments: This record can be found at the County Court Records, Film #
          1298746 - 1298749.
        • Margie
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
            Hi Kim,

            Thank you for researching that information for me. It may be true
            that Cynthia died in childbirth. It has been a long time since I
            asked for a record of death and was told there was none and if there
            were it probably would not name her parents. I don't know if I trust
            that there was no record...maybe because I gave the time frame of
            1861-1867 and that really was too much to look for. I should try
            again beginning at the date of birth for Samantha Jane.

            Thank you again for your time and research information.

            Margie

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "kim_donley"
            <kim_donley@...> wrote:

            > OOOps...I forgot to say that here is the other marriage for Joseph
            > Shepler. So after Cynthia died he did remarry...........KIM
            >
            > Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
            > about Joseph M. Shepler
            > Name: Joseph M. Shepler
            > Gender: Male
            > Spouse Name: Rosannah F. Shumate
            > Marriage Date: May 19, 1868
            > Marriage County: Vermilion
            > Comments: This record can be found at the County Court Records, Film #
            > 1298746 - 1298749.

          • Lisa
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 8, 2007
              Chris:I have my Taylor family in Smyth Co., VA moved to Stillwater,
              Wolfe Co., KY. Also I have Clements in VA moved to Breathitt Co., KY
              (name changed to Clemens/Clemmons.

              The Taylor family is direct ancestor. Clements/Clemens/Clemmons
              married into my family. I am in contact with some Clemmons
              descendants in KY that I can connect you to.

              Lisa Taylor-Vences in St Louis

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Chris sparks
              <cynthia_sparks2002@...> wrote:

              > SURNAMES:
              > SPARKS,CHILDERS,
              COGAR,KELLY,TAYLOR,ANDERSON,GILLIS,O'DELL,BOGGS,COLEMAN,
              > ARBOGAST,OXIER,MORRIS,ROBINSON,MOORE,HAMILTON,SAMPLES,
              > COOL,FISHER,KINGERY,NEWMAN,RIPPETOE,SIMS,MIDKIFF,MCMURDY,
              > CLEMENTS/CLEMENS,HUNDLEY,ELLIS,WALTERS,
              >
              > TIMELINE: 1700-1900
              >
              > AREA::ENGLAND,IRELAND,HOLLAND,FRANCE,ITALY,GERMANY,
              > MD,PA,VA,KY,OHIO,WVa,NJ,
            • Chris sparks
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 8, 2007
                Please feel free to contact me anytime through the group or my e-mail cynthia_sparks2002@....
                The Clements are the ones I have found nothing on. This is my brickwall.
                Thank you.

              • genealogyist
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 8, 2007
                  Which surnames came from Germany because in my family tree several
                  came from Germany and we may be related.
                  EA

                  --- Lisa <taylorvences@...> wrote:

                  > Chris:I have my Taylor family in Smyth Co., VA moved to Stillwater,
                  > Wolfe Co., KY. Also I have Clements in VA moved to Breathitt Co.,
                  KY name changed to Clemens/Clemmons.

                  > The Taylor family is direct ancestor. Clements/Clemens/Clemmons
                  > married into my family. I am in contact with some Clemmons
                  > descendants in KY that I can connect you to.
                  >
                  > Lisa Taylor-Vences in St Louis
                  >
                  > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Chris sparks
                  > <cynthia_sparks2002@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > SURNAMES:
                  > > SPARKS,CHILDERS,
                  > COGAR,KELLY,TAYLOR,ANDERSON,GILLIS,O'DELL,BOGGS,COLEMAN,
                  > > ARBOGAST,OXIER,MORRIS,ROBINSON,MOORE,HAMILTON,SAMPLES,
                  > > COOL,FISHER,KINGERY,NEWMAN,RIPPETOE,SIMS,MIDKIFF,MCMURDY,
                  > > CLEMENTS/CLEMENS,HUNDLEY,ELLIS,WALTERS,
                  > >
                  > > TIMELINE: 1700-1900
                  > >
                  > > AREA::ENGLAND,IRELAND,HOLLAND,FRANCE,ITALY,GERMANY,
                  > > MD,PA,VA,KY,OHIO,WVa,NJ,
                • Chris sparks
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 9, 2007
                    Cogar and Arbogast far as I know.

                  • mg
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 4, 2007
                      Could it be a Native American name? mg

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 5, 2007
                        The surname GEORGE could also be anglesized from
                        Georgeopolis a Greek name. I work with someone by that
                        name; his family originated on the East Coast.