Re: Hi Everyone...

  • kim_donley
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 2007
      I did find 2 George surnames in Vermillion Co. Ill. in 1860 neither
      one has a Cynthia. 1 is a family and one is possibly a boarder.

      Name: T B George
      Age in 1860: 32
      Birth Year: abt 1828
      Birthplace: Ohio
      Home in 1860: Carroll, Vermillion, Illinois
      Gender: Male
      Post Office: Danville
      Value of real estate: View image
      Household Members: Name Age
      T B George 32
      Nancy George 32
      David J George 6
      Benj F George 4
      J W George 3
      J W George 1
      Sarah Pepace 22
      William Heter 19

      AND THEN

      Name: Jabes George
      Age in 1860: 23
      Birth Year: abt 1837
      Birthplace: Indiana
      Home in 1860: Ross, Vermillion, Illinois
      Gender: Male
      Post Office: Danville
      Value of real estate: View image
      Household Members: Name Age
      Barnabas Preble 30
      Josephine Preble 27
      Ella Preble 5
      Elwood Preble 1
      Jabes George 23

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Margie"
      <marwal43@...> wrote:

      > I am Margie. I began doing my genealogy in 1975 when everything
      was
      > done by snail mail. After a few years I put it away until 1998
      when I
      > got my first computer. I was amazed at the resources on the
      internet
      > and quickly moved forward on all the lines I was researching.
      Then my
      > computer died and I again put it away for a few years. I have
      > recently begun again. I am disabled so it has been difficult to do
      > library research and because of a fixed low income I cannot afford
      > Ancestry. I have been helped tremendously by other researchers and
      > have met many relatives. I began copying all that I had and
      sending
      > it out to, at least one relative in all my lines so that my
      > information would not be lost and hoping they would share it will
      all
      > who had any interest.
      >
      > Some of the lines I am researching are:
      > Walter from West Cocalico Twp. Lancaster Co. PA
      > Shepler from Rostraver Twp. Westmoreland Co. PA
      > Hanley/Handley from VA>Fountain Co. IN 1830
      > Jenkins from Preston Co. VA>Warren Co. OH>Fountain Co. IN
      > Oostdyk and Wichers and Ulberg from the Netherlands>MI
      >
      > One of my brick walls is Cynthia Elizabeth George who was born in
      IN
      > in 1841 and married 1859 in Vermilion Co. IL and died 1861-1867 in
      > Vermilion Co. IL. I cannot find any George Family in 1860 in
      > Vermilion Co. IL and I cannot find her in the 1850 Census' of IN.
      > surmise the family George would be located in Fayette Co. IN in
      1850.

      > Another is to identify which Hanley/Handley line my William Hanley
      of
      > the 1830 Census Fountain Co. IN is from.
      >
      > Thank you for allowing me to join the group.
      >
      > Margie

    • Margie
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 2007
        Thank you Kim, I appreciate this information. I wish there was a
        death record that would name Cynthia's parents but I have been told it
        is not available. I don't have a clue on how to connect these or
        disprove a connection.

        Thank you for the information and help.

        Margie

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "kim_donley"
        <kim_donley@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > Some of the lines I am researching are:
        > > Walter from West Cocalico Twp. Lancaster Co. PA
        > > Shepler from Rostraver Twp. Westmoreland Co. PA
        > > Hanley/Handley from VA>Fountain Co. IN 1830
        > > Jenkins from Preston Co. VA>Warren Co. OH>Fountain Co. IN
        > > Oostdyk and Wichers and Ulberg from the Netherlands>MI
        > >
        > > One of my brick walls is Cynthia Elizabeth George who was born in
        > IN
        > > in 1841 and married 1859 in Vermilion Co. IL and died 1861-1867 in
        > > Vermilion Co. IL. I cannot find any George Family in 1860 in
        > > Vermilion Co. IL and I cannot find her in the 1850 Census' of IN.
        > > surmise the family George would be located in Fayette Co. IN in
        > 1850.
        > >
        > > Another is to identify which Hanley/Handley line my William Hanley
        > of
        > > the 1830 Census Fountain Co. IN is from.
        > >
        > > Thank you for allowing me to join the group.

      • viola stephens
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2007
          We have a Noah Fisher in Ky. on our family list.He was my husbands grandfather.

          Chris sparks <cynthia_sparks2002@...> wrote: SURNAMES:
          SPARKS,CHILDERS, COGAR,KELLY,TAYLOR,ANDERSON,GILLIS,O'DELL,BOGGS,COLEMAN,
          ARBOGAST,OXIER,MORRIS,ROBINSON,MOORE,HAMILTON,SAMPLES,
          COOL,FISHER,KINGERY,NEWMAN,RIPPETOE,SIMS,MIDKIFF,MCMURDY,
          CLEMENTS/CLEMENS,HUNDLEY,ELLIS,WALTERS,

          TIMELINE: 1700-1900

          AREA::ENGLAND,IRELAND,HOLLAND,FRANCE,ITALY,GERMANY,
          MD,PA,VA,KY,OHIO,WVa,NJ,

        • Carol Dimer
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 4, 2007
            I checked the Illinois marriage index and found a Cynthia E. George married Joseph M. Shepler on 11/24/1859 in Vermillion county. I tried the census records briefly and could only find a Joseph Shepler married to someone else in later years.

            Carol in Orland Park IL

            "Life should NOT be a journey to
            the grave with the intention of
            arriving safely in an attractive
            and well preserved body, but
            rather to skid in sideways,
            chocolate in one hand, wine in the
            other, totally worn out and
            screaming WOO HOO, what a ride!"

            Unknown

          • kim_donley
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
              Ok here is 1860 census for Joseph Shepler in Vermillion Illinois
              although it says Smitha by ancestry when u look at the actual census
              it says Syntha which of course is common for Cynthia. Joseph is
              down as a farmer. Found other census 1870, 1880 etc..with a Joseph
              Shepler and a Rosanna? So if it is the same Joseph and he remarried
              there may be a chance that he and Cynthia George had 1 daughter
              named Samantha?? Samantha was 10 in 1870 and 18 in 1880. I believe
              Samantha is Cynthia and Joseph's child because there are other
              children in the house and they have Ky for the place where there
              mother was born and Samantha has Indiana. So it looks like this is
              the right Joseph. I will see what else i can find......KIM

              1860 United States Federal Census
              about Joseph Shepler
              Name: Joseph Shepler
              Age in 1860: 23
              Birth Year: abt 1837
              Birthplace: Indiana
              Home in 1860: Pilot, Vermillion, Illinois
              Gender: Male
              Post Office: Pilot
              Value of real estate: View image
              Household Members: Name Age
              Joseph Shepler 23
              Smitha Shepler 19

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Carol Dimer
              <thedimers@...> wrote:

              > I checked the Illinois marriage index and found a Cynthia E.
              George married Joseph M. Shepler on 11/24/1859 in Vermillion
              county. I tried the census records briefly and could only find a
              Joseph Shepler married to someone else in later years.

              > Carol in Orland Park IL
              >

              > "Life should NOT be a journey to
              > the grave with the intention of
              > arriving safely in an attractive
              > and well preserved body, but
              > rather to skid in sideways,
              > chocolate in one hand, wine in the
              > other, totally worn out and
              > screaming WOO HOO, what a ride!"
              >
              > Unknown

            • kim_donley
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                OOOps...I forgot to say that here is the other marriage for Joseph
                Shepler. So after Cynthia died he did remarry...........KIM

                Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
                about Joseph M. Shepler
                Name: Joseph M. Shepler
                Gender: Male
                Spouse Name: Rosannah F. Shumate
                Marriage Date: May 19, 1868
                Marriage County: Vermilion
                Comments: This record can be found at the County Court Records, Film #
                1298746 - 1298749.
              • Margie
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                  Hi Kim,

                  Thank you for researching that information for me. It may be true
                  that Cynthia died in childbirth. It has been a long time since I
                  asked for a record of death and was told there was none and if there
                  were it probably would not name her parents. I don't know if I trust
                  that there was no record...maybe because I gave the time frame of
                  1861-1867 and that really was too much to look for. I should try
                  again beginning at the date of birth for Samantha Jane.

                  Thank you again for your time and research information.

                  <kim_donley@...> wrote:

                  > OOOps...I forgot to say that here is the other marriage for Joseph
                  > Shepler. So after Cynthia died he did remarry...........KIM
                  >
                  > Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
                  > about Joseph M. Shepler
                  > Name: Joseph M. Shepler
                  > Gender: Male
                  > Spouse Name: Rosannah F. Shumate
                  > Marriage Date: May 19, 1868
                  > Marriage County: Vermilion
                  > Comments: This record can be found at the County Court Records, Film #
                  > 1298746 - 1298749.

                • Lisa
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 8, 2007
                    Chris:I have my Taylor family in Smyth Co., VA moved to Stillwater,
                    Wolfe Co., KY. Also I have Clements in VA moved to Breathitt Co., KY
                    (name changed to Clemens/Clemmons.

                    The Taylor family is direct ancestor. Clements/Clemens/Clemmons
                    married into my family. I am in contact with some Clemmons
                    descendants in KY that I can connect you to.

                    Lisa Taylor-Vences in St Louis

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Chris sparks
                    <cynthia_sparks2002@...> wrote:

                    > SURNAMES:
                    > SPARKS,CHILDERS,
                    COGAR,KELLY,TAYLOR,ANDERSON,GILLIS,O'DELL,BOGGS,COLEMAN,
                    > ARBOGAST,OXIER,MORRIS,ROBINSON,MOORE,HAMILTON,SAMPLES,
                    > COOL,FISHER,KINGERY,NEWMAN,RIPPETOE,SIMS,MIDKIFF,MCMURDY,
                    > CLEMENTS/CLEMENS,HUNDLEY,ELLIS,WALTERS,
                    >
                    > TIMELINE: 1700-1900
                    >
                    > AREA::ENGLAND,IRELAND,HOLLAND,FRANCE,ITALY,GERMANY,
                    > MD,PA,VA,KY,OHIO,WVa,NJ,
                  • Chris sparks
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 8, 2007
                      Please feel free to contact me anytime through the group or my e-mail cynthia_sparks2002@....
                      The Clements are the ones I have found nothing on. This is my brickwall.
                      Thank you.

                    • genealogyist
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 8, 2007
                        Which surnames came from Germany because in my family tree several
                        came from Germany and we may be related.
                        EA

                        --- Lisa <taylorvences@...> wrote:

                        > Chris:I have my Taylor family in Smyth Co., VA moved to Stillwater,
                        > Wolfe Co., KY. Also I have Clements in VA moved to Breathitt Co.,
                        KY name changed to Clemens/Clemmons.

                        > The Taylor family is direct ancestor. Clements/Clemens/Clemmons
                        > married into my family. I am in contact with some Clemmons
                        > descendants in KY that I can connect you to.
                        >
                        > Lisa Taylor-Vences in St Louis
                        >
                        > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Chris sparks
                        > <cynthia_sparks2002@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > SURNAMES:
                        > > SPARKS,CHILDERS,
                        > COGAR,KELLY,TAYLOR,ANDERSON,GILLIS,O'DELL,BOGGS,COLEMAN,
                        > > ARBOGAST,OXIER,MORRIS,ROBINSON,MOORE,HAMILTON,SAMPLES,
                        > > COOL,FISHER,KINGERY,NEWMAN,RIPPETOE,SIMS,MIDKIFF,MCMURDY,
                        > > CLEMENTS/CLEMENS,HUNDLEY,ELLIS,WALTERS,
                        > >
                        > > TIMELINE: 1700-1900
                        > >
                        > > AREA::ENGLAND,IRELAND,HOLLAND,FRANCE,ITALY,GERMANY,
                        > > MD,PA,VA,KY,OHIO,WVa,NJ,
                      • Chris sparks
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 9, 2007
                          Cogar and Arbogast far as I know.

                        • mg
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 4, 2007
                            Could it be a Native American name? mg

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 5, 2007
                              The surname GEORGE could also be anglesized from
                              Georgeopolis a Greek name. I work with someone by that
                              name; his family originated on the East Coast.