Hi Everyone...

  • Margie
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2007
      I am Margie. I began doing my genealogy in 1975 when everything was
      done by snail mail. After a few years I put it away until 1998 when I
      got my first computer. I was amazed at the resources on the internet
      and quickly moved forward on all the lines I was researching. Then my
      computer died and I again put it away for a few years. I have
      recently begun again. I am disabled so it has been difficult to do
      library research and because of a fixed low income I cannot afford
      Ancestry. I have been helped tremendously by other researchers and
      have met many relatives. I began copying all that I had and sending
      it out to, at least one relative in all my lines so that my
      information would not be lost and hoping they would share it will all
      who had any interest.

      Some of the lines I am researching are:
      Walter from West Cocalico Twp. Lancaster Co. PA
      Shepler from Rostraver Twp. Westmoreland Co. PA
      Hanley/Handley from VA>Fountain Co. IN 1830
      Jenkins from Preston Co. VA>Warren Co. OH>Fountain Co. IN
      Oostdyk and Wichers and Ulberg from the Netherlands>MI

      One of my brick walls is Cynthia Elizabeth George who was born in IN
      in 1841 and married 1859 in Vermilion Co. IL and died 1861-1867 in
      Vermilion Co. IL. I cannot find any George Family in 1860 in
      Vermilion Co. IL and I cannot find her in the 1850 Census' of IN. I
      surmise the family George would be located in Fayette Co. IN in 1850.

      Another is to identify which Hanley/Handley line my William Hanley of
      the 1830 Census Fountain Co. IN is from.

      Thank you for allowing me to join the group.

      Margie
    • Chris sparks
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 2007
        SURNAMES:
        SPARKS,CHILDERS, COGAR,KELLY,TAYLOR,ANDERSON,GILLIS,O'DELL,BOGGS,COLEMAN,
        ARBOGAST,OXIER,MORRIS,ROBINSON,MOORE,HAMILTON,SAMPLES,
        COOL,FISHER,KINGERY,NEWMAN,RIPPETOE,SIMS,MIDKIFF,MCMURDY,
        CLEMENTS/CLEMENS,HUNDLEY,ELLIS,WALTERS,

        TIMELINE: 1700-1900

        AREA::ENGLAND,IRELAND,HOLLAND,FRANCE,ITALY,GERMANY,
        MD,PA,VA,KY,OHIO,WVa,NJ,

      • kim_donley
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2007
          Cynthia's Maiden name was George? Could u give us some other family
          member names? Her father, Mother and siblings? Sometimes the names
          are so misspelled that its almost impossible to find the family on
          the census. But i have found doing a search on just the first name
          in a certain State and county will sometimes find the family. So if
          u can give me more info i will search some more....Thanks KIM

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Margie"
          <marwal43@...> wrote:

          > I am Margie. I began doing my genealogy in 1975 when everything
          was
          > done by snail mail. After a few years I put it away until 1998
          when I
          > got my first computer. I was amazed at the resources on the
          internet
          > and quickly moved forward on all the lines I was researching.
          Then my
          > computer died and I again put it away for a few years. I have
          > recently begun again. I am disabled so it has been difficult to do
          > library research and because of a fixed low income I cannot afford
          > Ancestry. I have been helped tremendously by other researchers and
          > have met many relatives. I began copying all that I had and
          sending
          > it out to, at least one relative in all my lines so that my
          > information would not be lost and hoping they would share it will
          all
          > who had any interest.
          >
          > Some of the lines I am researching are:
          > Walter from West Cocalico Twp. Lancaster Co. PA
          > Shepler from Rostraver Twp. Westmoreland Co. PA
          > Hanley/Handley from VA>Fountain Co. IN 1830
          > Jenkins from Preston Co. VA>Warren Co. OH>Fountain Co. IN
          > Oostdyk and Wichers and Ulberg from the Netherlands>MI
          >
          > One of my brick walls is Cynthia Elizabeth George who was born in
          IN
          > in 1841 and married 1859 in Vermilion Co. IL and died 1861-1867 in
          > Vermilion Co. IL. I cannot find any George Family in 1860 in
          > Vermilion Co. IL and I cannot find her in the 1850 Census' of IN.
          > surmise the family George would be located in Fayette Co. IN in
          1850.

          > Another is to identify which Hanley/Handley line my William Hanley
          of
          > the 1830 Census Fountain Co. IN is from.
          >
          > Thank you for allowing me to join the group.
          >
          > Margie

        • kim_donley
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3, 2007
            I did find 2 George surnames in Vermillion Co. Ill. in 1860 neither
            one has a Cynthia. 1 is a family and one is possibly a boarder.

            Name: T B George
            Age in 1860: 32
            Birth Year: abt 1828
            Birthplace: Ohio
            Home in 1860: Carroll, Vermillion, Illinois
            Gender: Male
            Post Office: Danville
            Value of real estate: View image
            Household Members: Name Age
            T B George 32
            Nancy George 32
            David J George 6
            Benj F George 4
            J W George 3
            J W George 1
            Sarah Pepace 22
            William Heter 19

            AND THEN

            Name: Jabes George
            Age in 1860: 23
            Birth Year: abt 1837
            Birthplace: Indiana
            Home in 1860: Ross, Vermillion, Illinois
            Gender: Male
            Post Office: Danville
            Value of real estate: View image
            Household Members: Name Age
            Barnabas Preble 30
            Josephine Preble 27
            Ella Preble 5
            Elwood Preble 1
            Jabes George 23

            <marwal43@...> wrote:

            > I am Margie. I began doing my genealogy in 1975 when everything
            was
            > done by snail mail. After a few years I put it away until 1998
            when I
            > got my first computer. I was amazed at the resources on the
            internet
            > and quickly moved forward on all the lines I was researching.
            Then my
            > computer died and I again put it away for a few years. I have
            > recently begun again. I am disabled so it has been difficult to do
            > library research and because of a fixed low income I cannot afford
            > Ancestry. I have been helped tremendously by other researchers and
            > have met many relatives. I began copying all that I had and
            sending
            > it out to, at least one relative in all my lines so that my
            > information would not be lost and hoping they would share it will
            all
            > who had any interest.
            >
            > Some of the lines I am researching are:
            > Walter from West Cocalico Twp. Lancaster Co. PA
            > Shepler from Rostraver Twp. Westmoreland Co. PA
            > Hanley/Handley from VA>Fountain Co. IN 1830
            > Jenkins from Preston Co. VA>Warren Co. OH>Fountain Co. IN
            > Oostdyk and Wichers and Ulberg from the Netherlands>MI
            >
            > One of my brick walls is Cynthia Elizabeth George who was born in
            IN
            > in 1841 and married 1859 in Vermilion Co. IL and died 1861-1867 in
            > Vermilion Co. IL. I cannot find any George Family in 1860 in
            > Vermilion Co. IL and I cannot find her in the 1850 Census' of IN.
            > surmise the family George would be located in Fayette Co. IN in
            1850.

            > Another is to identify which Hanley/Handley line my William Hanley
            of
            > the 1830 Census Fountain Co. IN is from.
            >
            > Thank you for allowing me to join the group.
            >
            > Margie

          • Margie
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 3, 2007
              Thank you Kim, I appreciate this information. I wish there was a
              death record that would name Cynthia's parents but I have been told it
              is not available. I don't have a clue on how to connect these or
              disprove a connection.

              Thank you for the information and help.

              Margie

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "kim_donley"
              <kim_donley@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > >
              > > Some of the lines I am researching are:
              > > Walter from West Cocalico Twp. Lancaster Co. PA
              > > Shepler from Rostraver Twp. Westmoreland Co. PA
              > > Hanley/Handley from VA>Fountain Co. IN 1830
              > > Jenkins from Preston Co. VA>Warren Co. OH>Fountain Co. IN
              > > Oostdyk and Wichers and Ulberg from the Netherlands>MI
              > >
              > > One of my brick walls is Cynthia Elizabeth George who was born in
              > IN
              > > in 1841 and married 1859 in Vermilion Co. IL and died 1861-1867 in
              > > Vermilion Co. IL. I cannot find any George Family in 1860 in
              > > Vermilion Co. IL and I cannot find her in the 1850 Census' of IN.
              > > surmise the family George would be located in Fayette Co. IN in
              > 1850.
              > >
              > > Another is to identify which Hanley/Handley line my William Hanley
              > of
              > > the 1830 Census Fountain Co. IN is from.
              > >
              > > Thank you for allowing me to join the group.

            • viola stephens

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 4, 2007
                  I checked the Illinois marriage index and found a Cynthia E. George married Joseph M. Shepler on 11/24/1859 in Vermillion county. I tried the census records briefly and could only find a Joseph Shepler married to someone else in later years.

                  Carol in Orland Park IL

                  "Life should NOT be a journey to
                  the grave with the intention of
                  arriving safely in an attractive
                  and well preserved body, but
                  rather to skid in sideways,
                  chocolate in one hand, wine in the
                  other, totally worn out and
                  screaming WOO HOO, what a ride!"

                  Unknown

                • kim_donley
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                    Ok here is 1860 census for Joseph Shepler in Vermillion Illinois
                    although it says Smitha by ancestry when u look at the actual census
                    it says Syntha which of course is common for Cynthia. Joseph is
                    down as a farmer. Found other census 1870, 1880 etc..with a Joseph
                    Shepler and a Rosanna? So if it is the same Joseph and he remarried
                    there may be a chance that he and Cynthia George had 1 daughter
                    named Samantha?? Samantha was 10 in 1870 and 18 in 1880. I believe
                    Samantha is Cynthia and Joseph's child because there are other
                    children in the house and they have Ky for the place where there
                    mother was born and Samantha has Indiana. So it looks like this is
                    the right Joseph. I will see what else i can find......KIM

                    1860 United States Federal Census
                    about Joseph Shepler
                    Name: Joseph Shepler
                    Age in 1860: 23
                    Birth Year: abt 1837
                    Birthplace: Indiana
                    Home in 1860: Pilot, Vermillion, Illinois
                    Gender: Male
                    Post Office: Pilot
                    Value of real estate: View image
                    Household Members: Name Age
                    Joseph Shepler 23
                    Smitha Shepler 19

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Carol Dimer
                    <thedimers@...> wrote:

                    > I checked the Illinois marriage index and found a Cynthia E.
                    George married Joseph M. Shepler on 11/24/1859 in Vermillion
                    county. I tried the census records briefly and could only find a
                    Joseph Shepler married to someone else in later years.

                    > Carol in Orland Park IL
                    >

                    > "Life should NOT be a journey to
                    > the grave with the intention of
                    > arriving safely in an attractive
                    > and well preserved body, but
                    > rather to skid in sideways,
                    > chocolate in one hand, wine in the
                    > other, totally worn out and
                    > screaming WOO HOO, what a ride!"
                    >
                    > Unknown

                  • kim_donley
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                      OOOps...I forgot to say that here is the other marriage for Joseph
                      Shepler. So after Cynthia died he did remarry...........KIM

                      Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
                      about Joseph M. Shepler
                      Name: Joseph M. Shepler
                      Gender: Male
                      Spouse Name: Rosannah F. Shumate
                      Marriage Date: May 19, 1868
                      Marriage County: Vermilion
                      Comments: This record can be found at the County Court Records, Film #
                      1298746 - 1298749.
                    • Margie
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                        Hi Kim,

                        Thank you for researching that information for me. It may be true
                        that Cynthia died in childbirth. It has been a long time since I
                        asked for a record of death and was told there was none and if there
                        were it probably would not name her parents. I don't know if I trust
                        that there was no record...maybe because I gave the time frame of
                        1861-1867 and that really was too much to look for. I should try
                        again beginning at the date of birth for Samantha Jane.

                        Thank you again for your time and research information.

                        <kim_donley@...> wrote:

                        > OOOps...I forgot to say that here is the other marriage for Joseph
                        > Shepler. So after Cynthia died he did remarry...........KIM
                        >
                        > Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
                        > about Joseph M. Shepler
                        > Name: Joseph M. Shepler
                        > Gender: Male
                        > Spouse Name: Rosannah F. Shumate
                        > Marriage Date: May 19, 1868
                        > Marriage County: Vermilion
                        > Comments: This record can be found at the County Court Records, Film #
                        > 1298746 - 1298749.

                      • Lisa
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 8, 2007
                          Chris:I have my Taylor family in Smyth Co., VA moved to Stillwater,
                          Wolfe Co., KY. Also I have Clements in VA moved to Breathitt Co., KY
                          (name changed to Clemens/Clemmons.

                          The Taylor family is direct ancestor. Clements/Clemens/Clemmons
                          married into my family. I am in contact with some Clemmons
                          descendants in KY that I can connect you to.

                          Lisa Taylor-Vences in St Louis

                          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Chris sparks
                          <cynthia_sparks2002@...> wrote:

                          > SURNAMES:
                          > SPARKS,CHILDERS,
                          COGAR,KELLY,TAYLOR,ANDERSON,GILLIS,O'DELL,BOGGS,COLEMAN,
                          > ARBOGAST,OXIER,MORRIS,ROBINSON,MOORE,HAMILTON,SAMPLES,
                          > COOL,FISHER,KINGERY,NEWMAN,RIPPETOE,SIMS,MIDKIFF,MCMURDY,
                          > CLEMENTS/CLEMENS,HUNDLEY,ELLIS,WALTERS,
                          >
                          > TIMELINE: 1700-1900
                          >
                          > AREA::ENGLAND,IRELAND,HOLLAND,FRANCE,ITALY,GERMANY,
                          > MD,PA,VA,KY,OHIO,WVa,NJ,
                        • Chris sparks
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 8, 2007
                            Please feel free to contact me anytime through the group or my e-mail cynthia_sparks2002@....
                            The Clements are the ones I have found nothing on. This is my brickwall.
                            Thank you.

                          • genealogyist
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 8, 2007
                              Which surnames came from Germany because in my family tree several
                              came from Germany and we may be related.
                              EA

                              --- Lisa <taylorvences@...> wrote:

                              > Chris:I have my Taylor family in Smyth Co., VA moved to Stillwater,
                              > Wolfe Co., KY. Also I have Clements in VA moved to Breathitt Co.,
                              KY name changed to Clemens/Clemmons.

                              > The Taylor family is direct ancestor. Clements/Clemens/Clemmons
                              > married into my family. I am in contact with some Clemmons
                              > descendants in KY that I can connect you to.
                              >
                              > Lisa Taylor-Vences in St Louis
                              >
                              > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Chris sparks
                              > <cynthia_sparks2002@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > SURNAMES:
                              > > SPARKS,CHILDERS,
                              > COGAR,KELLY,TAYLOR,ANDERSON,GILLIS,O'DELL,BOGGS,COLEMAN,
                              > > ARBOGAST,OXIER,MORRIS,ROBINSON,MOORE,HAMILTON,SAMPLES,
                              > > COOL,FISHER,KINGERY,NEWMAN,RIPPETOE,SIMS,MIDKIFF,MCMURDY,
                              > > CLEMENTS/CLEMENS,HUNDLEY,ELLIS,WALTERS,
                              > >
                              > > TIMELINE: 1700-1900
                              > >
                              > > AREA::ENGLAND,IRELAND,HOLLAND,FRANCE,ITALY,GERMANY,
                              > > MD,PA,VA,KY,OHIO,WVa,NJ,
                            • Chris sparks
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 9, 2007
                                Cogar and Arbogast far as I know.

                              • mg
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 4, 2007
                                  Could it be a Native American name? mg

                                  Cynthia's Maiden name was George? Could u give us some other family
                                  member names? Her father, Mother and siblings? Sometimes the names
                                  are so misspelled that its almost impossible to find the family on
                                  the census. But i have found doing a search on just the first name
                                  in a certain State and county will sometimes find the family. So if
                                  u can give me more info i will search some more....Thanks KIM
                                  Recent Activity
                                  6New Members
                                  Visit Your Group
                                  Genealogy research
                                  Genealogy ancestor
                                  Genealogy research site
                                  Ancestor genealogy
                                  Food Lovers
                                  Real Food Group
                                  on Yahoo! Groups
                                  find out more.
                                  Yahoo! Groups
                                  Endurance Zone
                                  b/c every athlete
                                  needs an edge.
                                  Yahoo! Groups
                                  Be a Better Planet
                                  Share with others
                                  Help the Planet..

                                • Dianne Planeta
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 5, 2007
                                    The surname GEORGE could also be anglesized from
                                    Georgeopolis a Greek name. I work with someone by that
                                    name; his family originated on the East Coast.