Re: greetings

  • Kathy P
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2007
      Steve,
      Welcome to the world of genealogy. The suggestions I saw thus far are excellent for you. I'll add one that helped me when I started out. Contact your nearest LDS Family History Center(FHC) and ask if they hold a Family History Day (or whatever they call it). This is a day filled with seminars about genealogical research and usually includes a beginner class that goes over proper documentation, where to start, etc. I've been to several over the years and learn something every time from more experienced researchers: everything from reading old handwriting to internet sites. The ones I went to cost $7 to get in and that included lunch!!

      We recently moved and the FHC here is so tiny they could never have something like that, but I asked around, and there is a larger center about 50 miles away that does one every year. I look forward to that one!!

      Kathy
      Genealogists never die, they just lose their census.