Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Greetings

  • jonczar@copper.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2007
      Steve
      I know it is hard to just get started. If you can't get a free program from Family Search, then try RootsMagic. Their free program will let you do at least 40. It will at least get you started with a direction.
      There are other free pages available to download, but only a few as complete.
      I think that even the free one has a tutorial to help you get started.
      The main thing is start with what you know like names; then prove their birth, marriage and death and their relationship to you. Branch out slowly so you don't drown in your data.
      -------
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31, 2007
        Welcome Steve,
        So far you have received some great advice. I started out with a trip to my local public library and did a keyword search for "genealogy" on their book catalog database. Start with any books that pretain to beginners and go. I have read many of these books and have always found them to have very useful information. Many of these books will have either a website to go too or copies of genealogy forms for you to print and make copies for yourself as well.
        Either way good luck.

        Laurie Bates
        STRICKLAND

      • Clark & Rita Pederson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 31, 2007
          Steve:

          I would also suggest you look to see if your area has a genealogical
          society. They may also provide classes and share ideas at meetings that
          could be very helpful and you have a group of people who share your
          interest. It doesn't matter if your ancestors are local or not the
          information you get will help with research almost anywhere.

          Happy hunting!

          Rita

          _____