Re: Names I am researching

  • Dianne Planeta
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 15, 2007
      I would very much like to know if there is any
      connection. My line I am working on is in IN, OH, PA.
      This I have garnered through census records. My
      grandmother, Dora Alice McGowen b. 1880, gave two
      maiden names for her mother( Leper and Annis/Innis). I
      believe that Leper is the correct one since I found it
      on a marriage cert. to her 2nd husband in 1910.Her
      father was Levi, the son of Isaac McGowan and
      Charlotte Truax.
      Dianne

    • mary g
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 15, 2007
        Hi..I don't know if I have introduced myself or not. I joined a couple of lists to try to get more knowledgeable.

        I am tracing 4 great grandparents who all ended up in Clermont, Iowa in the mid-1800s.

        One, great grandfather Timothy Garvey, is from Ballyferriter, Ireland...some good information has been gathered on him by a second cousin who did a lot of research. He and his brothers came and worked on the canals and made their way to Iowa.

        His wife, Maggie Lyons was born in Ireland in 1830 or 1833. She is from Tralee, spoke only Irish. her father's name was Cornelius Lyons. This might have been an arranged marriage...

        Oh dear..I am having this sense that I am repeating myself from just a couple of days ago but maybe not..

        My great grandfather John Devery was born around 1818 and died in early 1900s. His parents' names were Michael Devery and Bridget Whalen. i do not know how he got to America or to Iowa.

        His wife is the greatest mystery. her name was Eliza or Elizabeth Crehan or Crean or Creehan and first name could have been Mary. She came at the age of 7 or 8 during the potatoe famine. It is said she never heard from her family again. I don't know if they scraped up her fare, she was sent from a workhouse, the landlord sent her (in which case not others??), came with neighbors or relatives...my sister says she was adopted so Crehan may be an adopted name. She ended up in Clermont Iowa and was the maid for the man who became Sec. of State . no speak of the hosue..under Pres. McKinley..David Henderson I believe.

        It is interesting that an Elizabeth Green was staying with Maggie Lyons and Timothy Garvey..could it have been Eliza Crehan? They spelled names so many ways then...Eliza's daughter married Timothy's son John.

        If anyone could help especially on Eliza I would be very grateful. I had hoped to go to Iowa this summer but probably won't make it...I have looked through ship rosters etc. looking for stray children of that age (could someone who adopted a 7 year old change their first name as well??)...she was before the orphan trains...if she lived with Timothy and Maggie, who might have been a mailorder bride, could Eliza have been one too?????

        Anyway, I do nothave the knowledge to carry this further without help so I would love any advice. Thanks. mg