new-need information on dna testing

  • kdx80v45
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2007
      Hello. I'm new to this group. I am mainly posting because i am
      considering using one of these genetic geanealogy DNA testing
      companies and i wanted to hear some real experiences outside of their
      advertising.

      I mainly would like to see where my ancesters were from originaly
      and what groups they were from. I'm curious as to their religion, if
      they were catholic or jewish etc. I suppose i might be interested in
      finding individual relatives but i more curious about the general
      origin of both sides of the family.

      I suppose the y-dna tells all the males on the fathers side but would
      not tell anything about the fathers mother side. The mtdna only
      females on the mothers side i think.

      How many markers are neccesary for y-dna and mtdna to be accurate
      enough to find your general background? Would I need to pay for the
      more expensive tests?

      Has any one used these or other companies ? How did they compare?

      dna ancestry project dna heritage
      family tree dna relative genetics

      did they tell you what you wanted to know? Did they have the
      databases to use the information? Did they send you practical
      information you could understand?

      Im not a great researcher or computer expert so i dont want to have
      to figure out a lot of technical information. I found one company
      SMGF that supposedly does DNA testing for free but there may be
      privacy issues and im not sure if they will give me information i can
      understand.

      If any one has any experiences good or bad with these companies i
      would appreciate any information. You could post here or e-mail me at
      kdx80v45@...

      Thanks,
      Brian Hill