Names I am researching

  • littledi1030
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
      I am new to the group.
      I am currently researching the following names:
      Mechling/Macklin,Comstock, Newbre/Newberry/Newbury,
      McGowan,Thorp/Thorpe, Truax, DePalma, DePoalo,Mignacco,
      Planeta,Ceilen, and Pancerz.

      Presently my "brick walls" are:
      McGowan (all family stories are not proving out with facts).

      Thorpe (my gggrandmother,Eliza, seems to have been hatched from under
      a rock on her wedding day in 1834.

      Planeta, Ceilen and Pancerz because I don't speak Polish and don't
      really know where to begin in Poland. The towns listed on the Ellis
      Island site I cannot find in modern day Poland.
    • Bill & Christine
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
        There is a book called "The Red Book" that has towns
        and cities listed and what is available via the
        internet.
        You might want to check this out for Poland.

        Also there is map system for today, and several maps
        at different years in the past.
        CNB

        --- littledi1030 <littledi1030@...> wrote:

        > I am new to the group.
        > I am currently researching the following names:
        > Mechling/Macklin,Comstock, Newbre/Newberry/Newbury,
        > McGowan,Thorp/Thorpe, Truax, DePalma,
        > DePoalo,Mignacco,
        > Planeta,Ceilen, and Pancerz.
        >
        > Presently my "brick walls" are:
        > McGowan (all family stories are not proving out
        > with facts).
        >
        > Thorpe (my gggrandmother,Eliza, seems to have been
        > hatched from under
        > a rock on her wedding day in 1834.
        >
        > Planeta, Ceilen and Pancerz because I don't speak
        > Polish and don't
        > really know where to begin in Poland. The towns
        > listed on the Ellis
        > Island site I cannot find in modern day Poland.
        >
        > Searching for your ancestry? You'll find great help
        > at Ancestry.Com

        http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
      • Sandra

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
            Amazing I have an Eliza Clark who has the same problem as my GG Grandmother
            who supposedly married my GG Grandfather Daniel Grace.
            Oh well another mystery pops up on the family trees.
            Happy hunting to you and yours.
            Steven Grace

          • mary g
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 13, 2007
              There are Mcgowans here in Washington State where I live..was quite a prominent family and a little town is called Mcgowan. I think there is a geneology on them. I have also come across the name somewhere..maybe on my Dingle spreadsheet which I can send to you if you would like. I also had a coworker with a MCGowan family..I think two brothers... mg

              Sandra <skbdesign@...> wrote:

              Presently my "brick walls" are:
              McGowan (all family stories are not proving out with facts).

              Recent Activity

              6
              New Members

              Visit Your Group

              Genealogy research
              Genealogy ancestor
              Genealogy research site
              Ancestor genealogy

              Moderator Central
              Get answers to
              your questions about
              running Y! Groups.

              Yoga Groups
              Exchange insights
              with members of
              the yoga community.

              Real Food Group
              Share recipes,
              restaurant ratings
              and favorite meals.

              .

            • Dianne Planeta
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 15, 2007
                I would very much like to know if there is any
                connection. My line I am working on is in IN, OH, PA.
                This I have garnered through census records. My
                grandmother, Dora Alice McGowen b. 1880, gave two
                maiden names for her mother( Leper and Annis/Innis). I
                believe that Leper is the correct one since I found it
                on a marriage cert. to her 2nd husband in 1910.Her
                father was Levi, the son of Isaac McGowan and
                Charlotte Truax.
                Dianne

              • mary g
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 15, 2007
                  Hi..I don't know if I have introduced myself or not. I joined a couple of lists to try to get more knowledgeable.

                  I am tracing 4 great grandparents who all ended up in Clermont, Iowa in the mid-1800s.

                  One, great grandfather Timothy Garvey, is from Ballyferriter, Ireland...some good information has been gathered on him by a second cousin who did a lot of research. He and his brothers came and worked on the canals and made their way to Iowa.

                  His wife, Maggie Lyons was born in Ireland in 1830 or 1833. She is from Tralee, spoke only Irish. her father's name was Cornelius Lyons. This might have been an arranged marriage...

                  Oh dear..I am having this sense that I am repeating myself from just a couple of days ago but maybe not..

                  My great grandfather John Devery was born around 1818 and died in early 1900s. His parents' names were Michael Devery and Bridget Whalen. i do not know how he got to America or to Iowa.

                  His wife is the greatest mystery. her name was Eliza or Elizabeth Crehan or Crean or Creehan and first name could have been Mary. She came at the age of 7 or 8 during the potatoe famine. It is said she never heard from her family again. I don't know if they scraped up her fare, she was sent from a workhouse, the landlord sent her (in which case not others??), came with neighbors or relatives...my sister says she was adopted so Crehan may be an adopted name. She ended up in Clermont Iowa and was the maid for the man who became Sec. of State . no speak of the hosue..under Pres. McKinley..David Henderson I believe.

                  It is interesting that an Elizabeth Green was staying with Maggie Lyons and Timothy Garvey..could it have been Eliza Crehan? They spelled names so many ways then...Eliza's daughter married Timothy's son John.

                  If anyone could help especially on Eliza I would be very grateful. I had hoped to go to Iowa this summer but probably won't make it...I have looked through ship rosters etc. looking for stray children of that age (could someone who adopted a 7 year old change their first name as well??)...she was before the orphan trains...if she lived with Timothy and Maggie, who might have been a mailorder bride, could Eliza have been one too?????

                  Anyway, I do nothave the knowledge to carry this further without help so I would love any advice. Thanks. mg