Re: Need Guidance on Computer Program

  • Judy Ardine
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2007
      It was possible to do this w/older FTM versions so I can't imagine that it
      isn't also possible with your version.

      I would open my Tail Male Line Surname file, then import each of the other
      lines into it, saving it under an entirely different file name.

      Since I'm not familiar w/your newer version of FTM I would probably save
      each of the 14 files as they are now but giving each duplicate file a new
      name until you know whether the import invalidates or deletes the original
      imported file or not.

      For instance: your tail male line surname is Jones. Two other surname files
      are Smith and Brown. I would duplicate each file, naming them for instance
      Jones3, Smith1 and Brown1. I would then import Smith1 and Brown1 into Jones3.

      If FTM didn't delete Smith1 and Brown1 after importing them into Jones3, I
      would delete them. That would leave you w/your original files intact plus
      one new file of all the surnames combined. Jones, Brown, Smith and Jones3