Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Help with California Census

  • barbara erickson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 17, 2007
      Is there a place I can look at the numbers and try and figure out where John and Mary might be living? Thanks, Babz

      jbaconsr <jbaconsr@...> wrote: I don't know if California is the same as New York, but the
      districts from one census to the next 10 year census do change.The
      only safe search method is to use the county if you think they
      stayed in the same area. Of course county boundries changed from
      time to time ,too.Sometimes you can look for a neighbor in the next
      census, particularily if they stayed static for several decades.
      Good luck.

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, barbara erickson
      <berickson49@...> wrote:

      > Hi everybody, I have a question that I hope someone can answer. In
      the census records of Los Angeles there are District numbers. Do the
      district numbers change at all? I have been looking for family
      members there and can find them in 1920 and then, POOF, 1930 there
      are not in California at all. I knew some of the people growing up
      and know that they died in the state but still can't find them. If
      the district numbers do not change then I could go page after page
      to see if they are in the same area. I have been looking for John
      Wesley Peters, Mary Jane Celeste Peters and family. I have 1920 but
      nothing else. These are my great-grand parents.

      > Thanks for any help, Barb

    • Michael Peters
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 18, 2007
        Barb,

        I couldn't tell you for sure if the districts change, but I see you
        are researching the Peters. Do you know if any of your family comes
        from Illinois or Kansas?

        Mike Peters

        <berickson49@...> wrote:

        > Hi everybody, I have a question that I hope someone can answer. In
        the census records of Los Angeles there are District numbers. Do the
        district numbers change at all? I have been looking for family
        members there and can find them in 1920 and then, POOF, 1930 there
        are not in California at all. I knew some of the people growing up
        and know that they died in the state but still can't find them. If
        the district numbers do not change then I could go page after page to
        see if they are in the same area. I have been looking for John Wesley
        Peters, Mary Jane Celeste Peters and family. I have 1920 but nothing
        else. These are my great-grand parents.

        > Thanks for any help, Barb

      • barbara erickson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 21, 2007
          Hi Mike, it looks like at one time my Peters were in Illinois. About 1898, that is when my great-uncle was born, Leo grant Peters. Any connection? Barb

          Michael Peters <paperboy1949@...> wrote: Barb,