Re:Help with California Census

  • BranwynBreeze@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 16, 2007
      I have had the same thing happen. It is quite frustrating. I have one
      ancestor that I can find in 1910 census (he arrived in USA 31 Oct 1908), then a gap
      of nothing only to pop up again in 1930. I haven't found him in census for
      that year, but according to his USA Declaration of Intention he was married 19
      Sept 1930 in Venice, CA and owned a bakery.

      After that is another gap until his listed death 3 Nov 1958 in CA.

      Linda

    • jbaconsr
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 17, 2007
        I don't know if California is the same as New York, but the
        districts from one census to the next 10 year census do change.The
        only safe search method is to use the county if you think they
        stayed in the same area. Of course county boundries changed from
        time to time ,too.Sometimes you can look for a neighbor in the next
        census, particularily if they stayed static for several decades.
        Good luck.

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, barbara erickson
        <berickson49@...> wrote:

        > Hi everybody, I have a question that I hope someone can answer. In
        the census records of Los Angeles there are District numbers. Do the
        district numbers change at all? I have been looking for family
        members there and can find them in 1920 and then, POOF, 1930 there
        are not in California at all. I knew some of the people growing up
        and know that they died in the state but still can't find them. If
        the district numbers do not change then I could go page after page
        to see if they are in the same area. I have been looking for John
        Wesley Peters, Mary Jane Celeste Peters and family. I have 1920 but
        nothing else. These are my great-grand parents.

        > Thanks for any help, Barb

      • barbara erickson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 17, 2007
          Is there a place I can look at the numbers and try and figure out where John and Mary might be living? Thanks, Babz

          jbaconsr <jbaconsr@...> wrote: I don't know if California is the same as New York, but the

          <berickson49@...> wrote:

          > Hi everybody, I have a question that I hope someone can answer. In
          the census records of Los Angeles there are District numbers. Do the
          district numbers change at all? I have been looking for family
          members there and can find them in 1920 and then, POOF, 1930 there
          are not in California at all. I knew some of the people growing up
          and know that they died in the state but still can't find them. If
          the district numbers do not change then I could go page after page
          to see if they are in the same area. I have been looking for John
          Wesley Peters, Mary Jane Celeste Peters and family. I have 1920 but
          nothing else. These are my great-grand parents.

          > Thanks for any help, Barb

        • Michael Peters
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 18, 2007
            Barb,

            I couldn't tell you for sure if the districts change, but I see you
            are researching the Peters. Do you know if any of your family comes
            from Illinois or Kansas?

            Mike Peters

            <berickson49@...> wrote:

            > Hi everybody, I have a question that I hope someone can answer. In
            the census records of Los Angeles there are District numbers. Do the
            district numbers change at all? I have been looking for family
            members there and can find them in 1920 and then, POOF, 1930 there
            are not in California at all. I knew some of the people growing up
            and know that they died in the state but still can't find them. If
            the district numbers do not change then I could go page after page to
            see if they are in the same area. I have been looking for John Wesley
            Peters, Mary Jane Celeste Peters and family. I have 1920 but nothing
            else. These are my great-grand parents.

            > Thanks for any help, Barb

          • barbara erickson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 21, 2007
              Hi Mike, it looks like at one time my Peters were in Illinois. About 1898, that is when my great-uncle was born, Leo grant Peters. Any connection? Barb

              Michael Peters <paperboy1949@...> wrote: Barb,