Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Trying again....software

  • Jon P Czarowitz
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2007
      Although there are many good ones and most are free, the one I find
      is the fastest and most complete can be found at
      http://misbach.org/gedbrowser/.
      I caution you to open it only instead a folder, not directly on your
      desktop. I made that mistake and had to remove the 2000 files from a
      desktop that only displays about 50 at a time. I wasn't expecting so
      many.
      It produced these in less than 5 minutes, which is much faster than
      any other I had used, including PAF. Some use added safeguards
      because you are going to upload to their site. These will not allow
      changes without uploading a fresh GEDCOM. Remove private info before
      using a GEDCOM for this or restrict the viewing by just your family
      connected researchers.
      Good luck and send us the URL so we can see the results.
      I have one up on Tripod at http://members.tripod.com/czarowitz/. This
      was produced from the PAF program.
      Jon

      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2007
        I use Family Tree Maker, it is not free. It is the first one I used
        because it was highly recommended by a friend, and now that I am used
        to it, it is easiest for me. It can convert your file to web pages.
        Did you try PAF from the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS? I use that
        one too because I love the charts it can make. It is a free program
        too, and I think it also will convert them. Let's see.... Yes, it
        will and it gives you some options about what to include.

        You can get PAF from the download page at
        http://www.familysearch.org/

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "hummdingertub"