Re: [Genealogy Research Club] what is the best way to put documents on a web site for others to see?

  • Forrest
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 29, 2007
      Also you might want to try freepages.com

      http://accounts.rootsweb.com/

      click on Freepages Accounts - personal web space

      Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
      Researching the following Surnames:
      Wife's family: Hier, Jackson, Kebler, Roberts, Reavis, Weaver
      PLUMSTEAD-L List master http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/surname/p/plumstead.html
      Plumstead and Associated Families: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fplum/

      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2007
        I personally love Fotki. I have paid for the service and it is well
        worth the cost, so much so, that I paid for years to come.

        I am now converting my old methods of doing my website and utilizing
        Fotki. Rather than paying for more space on my website, fotki is my
        space.

        Fotki allows me to upload original size documents. If you scanned in
        your documents as a .jpg, you could put them on fotki and the folks
        can get in there and get the original size, rather than the small
        size usually put on websites. If you want to put the small size on
        your website, you could do so with their html codes they provide.
        And then tell folks on yoru website to visit fotki if they want the
        full size version of it.

        When we have a reunion, all of the photos go up on fotki and anyone
        can come along and download them. I can assign an e-mail address to
        a folder and anyone can upload folders by e-mailing them to the
        address. It really brings people together.

        Also, fotki allows for comments which have proven valuable.

        I have folders in my account for each organzation I'm in (scouts,
        church, band etc.).

        The storage is unlimited with paid version.

        Also, you can blog (journal) there, create a forum...so much more.

        It is a New York based company.

        So, I guess what I am saying is that I would use a website and Fotki
        integrated together to get the word out.

        A simple blog may suffice as a website and is free. www.blogger.com
        is provided by google. Pay for the space at fotki and use the blog
        as a website. (by the way, I found that since the blog is owned by
        google....searches to my blog are immediately found whereas my
        website are not). Blogger does have some free storage, but it would
        be smaller sized and I like being able to get out full size versions
        of things through fotki.

        In addition, the internet world seems to be going to RSS which is
        capable through blogs.

        This is what I do and it works wonderfully. I hope this helps
        someone.

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Forrest" <fplum1@...>
        wrote:

        > Also you might want to try freepages.com
        >
        > http://accounts.rootsweb.com/
        >
        > click on Freepages Accounts - personal web space
        >
        > Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
        > Researching the following Surnames:
        > Bushouse, Plumstead, Risser, Schroeder, Senne, Thayer,
        > Wife's family: Hier, Jackson, Kebler, Roberts, Reavis, Weaver
        > Quaker Families: Coppock, Heald, Hobson, Hollingsworth, Potts,
        Ross, Watt