Trying again....software

  • hummdingertub
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2007
      I'm trying again. I guess my last message was never approved and I do
      not know why. I'm not a bad guy and it wasn't spam or ugly.

      Anyway, I have been playing with some software to convert GEDCOM's into
      html pages. I was excited to have figured out how to upload them to my
      website.

      I wanted to know if anyone else here used a particular program and if
      they liked it and why. I had a link to my blog to the ones I was
      looking at, but I do not have that handy at the moment.

      Just looking for other recommendations before I commit to one program.
    • jodi nasser

        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2007
          Although there are many good ones and most are free, the one I find
          is the fastest and most complete can be found at
          http://misbach.org/gedbrowser/.
          I caution you to open it only instead a folder, not directly on your
          desktop. I made that mistake and had to remove the 2000 files from a
          desktop that only displays about 50 at a time. I wasn't expecting so
          many.
          It produced these in less than 5 minutes, which is much faster than
          any other I had used, including PAF. Some use added safeguards
          because you are going to upload to their site. These will not allow
          changes without uploading a fresh GEDCOM. Remove private info before
          using a GEDCOM for this or restrict the viewing by just your family
          connected researchers.
          Good luck and send us the URL so we can see the results.
          I have one up on Tripod at http://members.tripod.com/czarowitz/. This
          was produced from the PAF program.
          Jon

          >I use Legacy 6.0 it is a free program that I downloaded off the
          >internet. I find that I have no trouble with it. There are times I
          >get frustrated as when I make an error and duplicate families, Unless
          >I buy the upgrade I can't make the program delete the ones that are
          >the same I have to go in and do that, but, otherwise it is a good
          >program.
          >
          >hummdingertub <hummdingertub@...> wrote: I'm trying
          >again. I guess my last message was never approved and I do
          >not know why. I'm not a bad guy and it wasn't spam or ugly.
          >
          >Anyway, I have been playing with some software to convert GEDCOM's
          >into
          >html pages. I was excited to have figured out how to upload them to
          >my
          >website.
          >
          >I wanted to know if anyone else here used a particular program and if
          >
          >they liked it and why. I had a link to my blog to the ones I was
          >looking at, but I do not have that handy at the moment.
          >
          >Just looking for other recommendations before I commit to one
          >program.
          >

          ><j> odi

        • laura385m
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2007
            I use Family Tree Maker, it is not free. It is the first one I used
            because it was highly recommended by a friend, and now that I am used
            to it, it is easiest for me. It can convert your file to web pages.
            Did you try PAF from the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS? I use that
            one too because I love the charts it can make. It is a free program
            too, and I think it also will convert them. Let's see.... Yes, it
            will and it gives you some options about what to include.

            You can get PAF from the download page at
            http://www.familysearch.org/

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "hummdingertub"