Hi, need some help about naturalization laws

  • laura385m
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2007
      I just joined the group. I am trying to determine what to do next. I
      have researched several sides of my family, and husband's family,
      saving the best (or worst depending) for last.

      My ancestors immigrated to the US during the time there was no Poland,
      (bet 1900 - 1915) although they were Polish. We seem to have several
      "step-parents" in this family- step father for my paternal
      grandfather, step-father for my paternal grandmother. I am about
      stepped - out!!!

      My grandfather was naturalized in 1934 in Wisconsin. Did this
      automatically naturalize his wife (my grandmother)? If not, are there
      any other records that will help me find her maiden name? Her name is
      on his petition as being his wife but only her first name along with
      the names of 12 of their 15 children. The oldest was also born in
      Poland (or Galicia), was he automatically naturalized at that time?
      He was 20 years old in 1934.

      I know there must be some type of Alien records, if she was not
      naturalized, but, if so, where would I get them from, and would they
      have her maiden name on them?

      There are only 3 of the original family left, and are 80, 84, and 86
      years old, with not so sharp memories of things.

      The biggest contention is the maiden name of their mother. On every
      birth certificate, it states her maiden name as Nowak. On her death
      cert, (informant her husband) it states her father's name John Nowak.
      But these 3 sisters insist that it is Gasior. That is of course a
      whole other story.

      I have been to the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS in town and I have
      ordered 1 microfilm to view. Haven't heard back from them yet. Has
      anyone ever viewed one from another country? What did you think?

      Laura