Re: [Genealogy Research Club] what is the best way to put documents on a web site for others to see?

  • angela semple
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 28, 2007
      i use this web its free and easy you can put photos and your family tree and you can let people see it as well and you can up load your tree from any places and it sorts it all out a and births
      Regards angela

      http://angelacahir.tribalpages.com/

      This is my tree have a look if you would like to see it

    • Jon P Czarowitz
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 28, 2007
        One way you can do this is to get your own domain. There is an annual
        cost, but with that many pages possible, you might consider this.
        Many come with email addresses which you can give to family members
        for a fee which would cover annual fee.
        Another way is to get a site on MyFamily.com. Here too is an annual
        fee, but with access ro ancestry search features. This fere is much
        lower than Ancestry and is for family usage. Only one fee is charged
        for the site annually, not per person. Lots of space for a small fee,
        but still Ancestry connected. It can be private or public, your
        choice. If public, watch the copyright issues regarding where you get
        your material.
        I prefer the private site for family connections. MyFamily.com is
        revising their format so read their Terms of Use carefully. I don't
        know how they are changing ovberall since it is still in BETA version
        yet. I'm not as happy with the new look as I was with the old one.
        I've had several sites up here for a number of years. I also belong
        to several sites put up by cousins.

        Their style varies from one site to another.

        If you prefer to keep the material more just within your family
        control, I suggest restricting what you put up, except indexes with
        your email address for further info. You can screen to weed out those
        who are out to publicize your work with no real interest in privacy.

        Several programs will do web pages from GEDCOMs and some have sites
        for your use to do this. Others will do this online, but takes it out
        of your control.

        This is just the tip of the iceberg. You can email me privately for
        more details since this can be lengthy.
        jonczar@...
        Good Luck!

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 29, 2007
          Also you might want to try freepages.com

          http://accounts.rootsweb.com/

          click on Freepages Accounts - personal web space

          Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
          Researching the following Surnames:
          Wife's family: Hier, Jackson, Kebler, Roberts, Reavis, Weaver
          PLUMSTEAD-L List master http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/surname/p/plumstead.html
          Plumstead and Associated Families: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fplum/

          Message 4 of 9 , May 4, 2007
            I personally love Fotki. I have paid for the service and it is well
            worth the cost, so much so, that I paid for years to come.

            I am now converting my old methods of doing my website and utilizing
            Fotki. Rather than paying for more space on my website, fotki is my
            space.

            Fotki allows me to upload original size documents. If you scanned in
            your documents as a .jpg, you could put them on fotki and the folks
            can get in there and get the original size, rather than the small
            size usually put on websites. If you want to put the small size on
            your website, you could do so with their html codes they provide.
            And then tell folks on yoru website to visit fotki if they want the
            full size version of it.

            When we have a reunion, all of the photos go up on fotki and anyone
            can come along and download them. I can assign an e-mail address to
            a folder and anyone can upload folders by e-mailing them to the
            address. It really brings people together.

            Also, fotki allows for comments which have proven valuable.

            I have folders in my account for each organzation I'm in (scouts,
            church, band etc.).

            The storage is unlimited with paid version.

            Also, you can blog (journal) there, create a forum...so much more.

            It is a New York based company.

            So, I guess what I am saying is that I would use a website and Fotki
            integrated together to get the word out.

            A simple blog may suffice as a website and is free. www.blogger.com
            is provided by google. Pay for the space at fotki and use the blog
            as a website. (by the way, I found that since the blog is owned by
            google....searches to my blog are immediately found whereas my
            website are not). Blogger does have some free storage, but it would
            be smaller sized and I like being able to get out full size versions
            of things through fotki.

            In addition, the internet world seems to be going to RSS which is
            capable through blogs.

            This is what I do and it works wonderfully. I hope this helps
            someone.

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Forrest" <fplum1@...>
            wrote:

            > Also you might want to try freepages.com
            >
            > http://accounts.rootsweb.com/
            >
            > click on Freepages Accounts - personal web space
            >
            > Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
            > Researching the following Surnames:
            > Bushouse, Plumstead, Risser, Schroeder, Senne, Thayer,
            > Wife's family: Hier, Jackson, Kebler, Roberts, Reavis, Weaver
            > Quaker Families: Coppock, Heald, Hobson, Hollingsworth, Potts,
            Ross, Watt