Re: [Genealogy Research Club] What do the following mean

  • veggykid15@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2007
      Hi I found this on ROOTS Genealogical Dictionary.
      _http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~randyj2222/gendictd.html_
      (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~randyj2222/gendictd.html)

      DE
      [Latin, from] _Surnames_
      (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~randyj2222/gendicts.html#surname) with "de", for example "de Beauchamp", meant that
      the family was "of the place called Beauchamp". The Beauchamp concerned in this
      family, was in Normandy, though there are many places in England today,
      named after the family, not the other way round. The name itself was not a
      surname, but an identifier name, but it later developed into a surname. -- Renia
      Simmons (edited)

      this was the only thing I could find for Dit/Dite

      DIT NAME
      an alias given to a family name. Compared to other alias or a.k.a. that are
      given to one specific person, the dit names are be given to many persons. It
      seems the usage exists almost only in France, New France and in Scotland where
      we find clans or septs.

      Hope that this helps
      Lauren Mack