Looking for information on Eliza Crean or Crehan, Irish orphan

  • mary g
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 7, 2007
      Hello all. I am a rank ameteur here but have found some amazing discoveries about other family members. But this is my great-grandmother, the little Irish orphan girl who came to America during the potato famine, all by herself at the age of 7 or 8. She seems to have been born in 1840 and would have then arrived about 1847 or 1848. It is believed her family died in Ireland after she left..they could only afford to send one and she was probably the oldest or most likely to survive. I remembered she had ended up working for the Taft family, I would think Ohio but not sure...and one fell in love with her but she chose someone else instead. My sister thinks she landed in New York, and was adopted. I had never heard she was adopted (my sister was a better listener I am sure). She also thought the name was Crean or Crehan..there is an old photo that says Crehan. This could be an adoptive name.

      Now, life for Irish orphans in New York during the potato famine was beyond harsh. I don't know how a seven year old survived, or if neighbors on the same ship watched out for her, or she found an orphanage, or what. I am now wondering if she ended up on an orphan train...they did go from New York to Ohio and Iowa.

      She ended up in Clermont Iowa, and married a John Devery, a farmer. She had about 8 children, all survivers seem to be girls, including my grandmother Ella. I seems she died in 1896. I have written to local historical society but haven't heard anything back.

      Could anyone help? Are there adoption lists? I suspect Crehan is an adoptive name but I don't know..assuming she was really adopted. A number of the orphan train older children were more indentured than adopted.

      Thanks for any help.

      M. Garvey

    • jordan martin
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2007
        My mother is a family historian and I let her read you email. She said if your great grandmother was only seven or eight when she came across more then likely she was being looked after by a family and she stayed with that family. My mom said she highly doubts you'll find a paper trail on her. If there are any older family members left, cousins of you grandmothers anyone who could shed just a little light on the area you should talk to them. The slightest little info can really help. good luck.

        mary g <maryogarvey@...> wrote: Hello all. I am a rank ameteur here but have found some amazing discoveries about other family members. But this is my great-grandmother, the little Irish orphan girl who came to America during the potato famine, all by herself at the age of 7 or 8. She seems to have been born in 1840 and would have then arrived about 1847 or 1848. It is believed her family died in Ireland after she left..they could only afford to send one and she was probably the oldest or most likely to survive. I remembered she had ended up working for the Taft family, I would think Ohio but not sure...and one fell in love with her but she chose someone else instead. My sister thinks she landed in New York, and was adopted. I had never heard she was adopted (my sister was a better listener I am sure). She also thought the name was Crean or Crehan..there is an old photo that says Crehan. This could be an adoptive name.

        Now, life for Irish orphans in New York during the potato famine was beyond harsh. I don't know how a seven year old survived, or if neighbors on the same ship watched out for her, or she found an orphanage, or what. I am now wondering if she ended up on an orphan train...they did go from New York to Ohio and Iowa.

        She ended up in Clermont Iowa, and married a John Devery, a farmer. She had about 8 children, all survivers seem to be girls, including my grandmother Ella. I seems she died in 1896. I have written to local historical society but haven't heard anything back.

        Could anyone help? Are there adoption lists? I suspect Crehan is an adoptive name but I don't know..assuming she was really adopted. A number of the orphan train older children were more indentured than adopted.

        Thanks for any help.

        M. Garvey

        "IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THE" ~ UNKNOWN

        "IT'S BETTER TO BE HATED FOR WHO YOU ARE THEN LOVED FOR WHO YOU ARE NOT" ~ VAN ZANT

        "NEVER BE BULLIED INTO SILENCE. NEVER ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE MADE A VICTIM. ACCEPT NO ONE'S DEFINITION OF YOUR LIFE, DEFINE YOURSELF!" ~ HARVEY FIERSTEIN

      • mary g
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2007
          Thanks...I am going to look for Devery second-cousins who might remember more.

          I keep thinking the Taft family might have some records but I did write to the main geneologist of their family and he didn't seem to know. I have seen records of servants in the Taft family though (that is whom she was employed by, or could she have been indentured? Many young Irishers were..). Would anyone know any way of tracking servants of well-known families? mg

          jordan martin <army_wife1006@...> wrote:
          My mother is a family historian and I let her read you email. She said if your great grandmother was only seven or eight when she came across more then likely she was being looked after by a family and she stayed with that family. My mom said she highly doubts you'll find a paper trail on her. If there are any older family members left, cousins of you grandmothers anyone who could shed just a little light on the area you should talk to them. The slightest little info can really help. good luck.

          mary g <maryogarvey@...> wrote: Hello all. I am a rank ameteur here but have found some amazing discoveries about other family members. But this is my great-grandmother, the little Irish orphan girl who came to America during the potato famine, all by herself at the age of 7 or 8. She seems to have been born in

          Recent Activity

          6
          New Members

          1