Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Digest Number 237

  • Georgette Teekel
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
      You sure have done your research,i've got zilch compared to you,lol

      Margie <marge_ecklund@...> wrote: --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Mary Grether
      <Mary_Grether@...> wrote:

      > Hey everuyone, been awhile since I have corresponded with the list.
      Been in a car accidenbt and just getting back into the swing of
      things.
      > my list of surnames are as followe;
      > allen,
      Baker,Brooks,Cook,Carr,Carnahan,Denty,French,Finch,Flowers,Gilbert,Gre
      ther,
      > Howard,Harold,Jones,Kennedy,Mcelveen,Matthis,
      > Parrish,Page,Oliver,Orchard,Sanderford,Turley,Trott Warner,Way,Young
      >
      > some of these migrated from va and went wesrt, the Mcelveen clan,
      as far as I know came from scotland, and migrated from NY to SC.
      > The way family may have come from NJ went to Guilford county NC and
      eventually to Indiana
      > The Grether name came from Germany and came to Tennessee, has step
      family of FRY or FRYE.
      > what is interesting, thre Gilbert family may have been Ouakers, the
      way family also.
      > the warner family I always thought they came from Germany to
      america, but my findings are very different, anyway my line. I also
      have looked at at least 7 warner lines ! outstanding! anyway any
      help on thense names will be greatly appreciated. Mary

      > My Great Grandfather, Isaac LeRoy Jordan, b. 30 Jan 1860 was
      married to Louisa Jones, b 10Aug 1858, marr. 4 Dec 1879. Her fathers
      name was James Allen Jones b 5 Dec 1817, and his father, John Burge
      Jones, b. 8 Jan 1804. I have more if this is the line you need.

      marge

    • mary g
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7, 2007
        Hello all. I am a rank ameteur here but have found some amazing discoveries about other family members. But this is my great-grandmother, the little Irish orphan girl who came to America during the potato famine, all by herself at the age of 7 or 8. She seems to have been born in 1840 and would have then arrived about 1847 or 1848. It is believed her family died in Ireland after she left..they could only afford to send one and she was probably the oldest or most likely to survive. I remembered she had ended up working for the Taft family, I would think Ohio but not sure...and one fell in love with her but she chose someone else instead. My sister thinks she landed in New York, and was adopted. I had never heard she was adopted (my sister was a better listener I am sure). She also thought the name was Crean or Crehan..there is an old photo that says Crehan. This could be an adoptive name.

        Now, life for Irish orphans in New York during the potato famine was beyond harsh. I don't know how a seven year old survived, or if neighbors on the same ship watched out for her, or she found an orphanage, or what. I am now wondering if she ended up on an orphan train...they did go from New York to Ohio and Iowa.

        She ended up in Clermont Iowa, and married a John Devery, a farmer. She had about 8 children, all survivers seem to be girls, including my grandmother Ella. I seems she died in 1896. I have written to local historical society but haven't heard anything back.

        Could anyone help? Are there adoption lists? I suspect Crehan is an adoptive name but I don't know..assuming she was really adopted. A number of the orphan train older children were more indentured than adopted.

        Thanks for any help.

        M. Garvey

      • jordan martin
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2007
          My mother is a family historian and I let her read you email. She said if your great grandmother was only seven or eight when she came across more then likely she was being looked after by a family and she stayed with that family. My mom said she highly doubts you'll find a paper trail on her. If there are any older family members left, cousins of you grandmothers anyone who could shed just a little light on the area you should talk to them. The slightest little info can really help. good luck.

          mary g <maryogarvey@...> wrote: Hello all. I am a rank ameteur here but have found some amazing discoveries about other family members. But this is my great-grandmother, the little Irish orphan girl who came to America during the potato famine, all by herself at the age of 7 or 8. She seems to have been born in 1840 and would have then arrived about 1847 or 1848. It is believed her family died in Ireland after she left..they could only afford to send one and she was probably the oldest or most likely to survive. I remembered she had ended up working for the Taft family, I would think Ohio but not sure...and one fell in love with her but she chose someone else instead. My sister thinks she landed in New York, and was adopted. I had never heard she was adopted (my sister was a better listener I am sure). She also thought the name was Crean or Crehan..there is an old photo that says Crehan. This could be an adoptive name.

          Now, life for Irish orphans in New York during the potato famine was beyond harsh. I don't know how a seven year old survived, or if neighbors on the same ship watched out for her, or she found an orphanage, or what. I am now wondering if she ended up on an orphan train...they did go from New York to Ohio and Iowa.

          She ended up in Clermont Iowa, and married a John Devery, a farmer. She had about 8 children, all survivers seem to be girls, including my grandmother Ella. I seems she died in 1896. I have written to local historical society but haven't heard anything back.

          Could anyone help? Are there adoption lists? I suspect Crehan is an adoptive name but I don't know..assuming she was really adopted. A number of the orphan train older children were more indentured than adopted.

          Thanks for any help.

          M. Garvey

          "IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THE" ~ UNKNOWN

          "IT'S BETTER TO BE HATED FOR WHO YOU ARE THEN LOVED FOR WHO YOU ARE NOT" ~ VAN ZANT

          "NEVER BE BULLIED INTO SILENCE. NEVER ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE MADE A VICTIM. ACCEPT NO ONE'S DEFINITION OF YOUR LIFE, DEFINE YOURSELF!" ~ HARVEY FIERSTEIN

        • mary g
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 8, 2007
            Thanks...I am going to look for Devery second-cousins who might remember more.

            I keep thinking the Taft family might have some records but I did write to the main geneologist of their family and he didn't seem to know. I have seen records of servants in the Taft family though (that is whom she was employed by, or could she have been indentured? Many young Irishers were..). Would anyone know any way of tracking servants of well-known families? mg

            jordan martin <army_wife1006@...> wrote:
            My mother is a family historian and I let her read you email. She said if your great grandmother was only seven or eight when she came across more then likely she was being looked after by a family and she stayed with that family. My mom said she highly doubts you'll find a paper trail on her. If there are any older family members left, cousins of you grandmothers anyone who could shed just a little light on the area you should talk to them. The slightest little info can really help. good luck.

            mary g <maryogarvey@...> wrote: Hello all. I am a rank ameteur here but have found some amazing discoveries about other family members. But this is my great-grandmother, the little Irish orphan girl who came to America during the potato famine, all by herself at the age of 7 or 8. She seems to have been born in

            Recent Activity

            6
            New Members

            1