Looking for maiden name of Eliza Devery

  • maryogarvey
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2007
      hello all. I am just new to this and just joined the group. I am
      on Ancestry.com and have found several new second cousins in the
      last couple of weeks.

      I shouldn't just leap in here but I have made it a goal to find out
      my great grandmother's name by St. Patrick's Day, which is soon.
      Her name was Eliza and she was born in 1840. She left Ireland
      probably in 1847 as it is said she came by herself at the age of 7.
      She ended up working for the Taft household, so I would think that
      would be in Ohio. She married an Irish farmer, John Devery, who I
      vaguely remember as being a railroad worker and not a farmer. He
      was born in Ireland around 1818. They ended up in Clermont, Iowa
      and raised a number of children, all girls but one boy, John. The
      girls were Ettie, Ella (my grandmother), Anna, Louise, Margaret.

      It looks like a couple of those ages were in Columbus, Ohio in 1870
      I think..and then two couples of those ages were in Columbus Ohio
      and Clermont Iowa in 1880 and my ancestors are the Iowa ones.

      Does this ring a bell with anyone? I haven't searched in Clermont
      for birth or death records but they don't show up on Ancestry.com.

      What should I do? mg