Re: [Genealogy Research Club] UGH! I should've known better....

  • jbaconsr
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007
      This somewhat off topic, but have you concidered just buying a cd-
      burner and back up to a data cd. There is one available at
      NewEgg.com for 17.49 and works with windows 98. I'm guessing if the
      processor in your old computeris over 300mhz, it would work for your
      backups of your genealogy gedcoms and ftw files. I have been backing
      up mine that way for years. The disks are cheap and a lot more
      reliable than floppys. And the burner is fairly easy to install.You
      just put it in place of your old cd rom. And it comes with NeroBurn
      software, so you don't have to buy anything extra in software. The
      link is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?
      Item=N82E16827136058

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Naomah" <Naomah@...>
      wrote:

      > I bought a flash drive to use for back up of my files (not just my
      genealogy files). My older computer would no co-operate. In
      researching that glitch, I learned that the u s b port was for input
      only, as it was such new technology at the time it was made. I can
      probably use it with a printer but not much else. It is an old Dell
      and they haven't offered support on it in several years.
      > When I get a new laptop in the next year or so I will not be able
      to transfer my files my self. A p c shop will have to do it. I
      have a CD drive and a floppy drive. At this time I use the floppy
      drive to back up my gedcoms and I have them on line too. BUT, the
      new computers don't come with a floppy drive anymore.
      > For that reason, I was thinking about using online storage, too.
      Then I could download my old documents to my new computer without a
      middleman.
      > Any thoughts on this ?
      >
      > I know that Eastman's Newsletter of 11 January 2007 mentioned 171
      online file storage services.

      > Thanks
      >
      > Naomi Lee (SMITH of MI & Upper NY) (MORRISON from TN) (CARDER from
      GA) BLACK for TX & SC,
      > also researching WINGATE, AERNI, ZELUFF and more

    • Lucinda
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007
        This is a great back up service.